Beginner: Pink Toe Tarantula enclosure

Jlynsg16

Arachnopeon
Hello!!!
I recently got a Pink toe tarantula, about three days ago to be exact and I did do a bit of research before getting her BUT I really am confused on what advice to follow. Many places I’ve looked including YouTube videos, care sheets (which I now know are NEVER accurate), & some websites say a variety of different things.

My main concern right now is the enclosure set up I got my Tarantula. I read somewhere too much open room can stress your tarantula out and that is what I’m afraid of. I just need advice on how I can make it more homey and a better for her. I’ve attached a picture of what her enclosure looks like now. I am aware I need to add more things for her to climb on but honestly I just want to hear as many tips and advice as possible from everyone.

she is about three inches, so she’s a lil baby, and she recently molted but not under my care. When i got her at the pet store she had done it there.

ANOTHER THING: she’s just been climbing the walls A LOT is that normal? I know she is a climber they love to climb and that is also why I have to get her more items to climb on, I just don’t know if that’s normal in general when they are newly put into a new exclosure?

PLEASE DONT ATTACK ME FOR ANYTHING I am new and I am here to learn and take in any advice. And correct what needs to be

Attachments

Last edited:

Thekla

Arachnoprince
I hate to say this, but you built her a terrestrial enclosure while she - being a true arboreal - needs an arboreal set-up.

Read these threads:
... and don't trust any other source online (except this board and @Tomoran on Youtube)! :)

Oh, and by the way, at 3" she isn't a little baby, she's a juvenile. And climbing is her life's purpose. ;)

Last edited:

Jlynsg16

Arachnopeon
I hate to say this, but you built her a terrestrial enclosure while she - being a true arboreal - needs an arboreal set-up.

Read these threads:
... and don't trust any other source online (except this board and @Tomoran on Youtube)! :)

Oh, and by the way, at 3" she isn't a little baby, she's a juvenile. And climbing is her life's purpose. ;)
Ahh! Okay she is still my little baby😂 and I see , I have seen that many enclosures are a lot taller. I will try to get something bigger and better for her soon! Do you think in the mean time I can add things across the enclosure to get her by to climb on? Thank you so much for your response !

Ynnoslol

Arachnopeon
Honestly if you read those articles that @Thekla just linked for you then you got all the essential informations. I suggest you give her some cross ventillation and a half cut cork bark or something so it can climb on or even hide there.

Just some quotes:

"3) Setup- now that youve got vent and humidity down, youre at the fun part. this is where you get to decide how the overall setup will look and eventually how the spiders web will spread. you want lots of anchor points high up to provide plenty of options for the pinktoe to attach their webs to. this just overall lets them feel more secure overall. plastic plants work well for this, ive also used sphagnum moss for anchor points for smaller spiders. i use hot glue to attach the plants to the sides of the cage and/or the cork bark. cork bark looks great and avics will sometimes adopt their hide around it. (assuming its leaned against the side or back of the cage.) ive had success with cork rounds as well. i like to use deli cups, exo teras, and amac boxes for my avics." (by @Venom1080 )

"For ventilation (there's no science as to what is "enough holes" for proper ventilation) in deli cups I put a few holes up at the top in case the T makes a canopy and molts up top and needs water (I add water in with a blunt tip syringe if needed), and I put small holes around the top and vertically I make holes down the deli cup, usually 8 vertical lines of holes around the perimeter of the deli cup. I do similar routine for inverted AMAC boxes.

I keep my sub dry, primarily because it's easier AND it reduced the attraction of mites. I always clean the boli (spherical cricket remains) out off the substrate to minimize mold formation as they will grow mold.

I provide them a cork bark slab put at an angle from sub floor to top of the container, like a 45 degree, just lean it against the wall, no need to hot glue it. I would also strongly suggest you provide additional anchor points with moss hot glued to the slab OR even better some plastic plants. I use ones from ZooMed. I never use silk plants as they may have dyes.

Also, the plants are important because this genus likes to have cover. They don't like to be out in the open. If you don't provide cover you will observe your T typically with its legs pulled in, and very rarely move." (by @viper69 )

But again, read those articles. :)

Last edited:

Jlynsg16

Arachnopeon

Read these threads:

Another thing! If you don’t mind me asking, what size do you recommend for her arboreal enclosure in height?
Honestly if you read those articles that @Thekla just linked for you then you got all the essential informations. I suggest you give her some cross ventillation and a half cut cork bark or something so it can climb on or even hide there.

Just some quotes:

"3) Setup- now that youve got vent and humidity down, youre at the fun part. this is where you get to decide how the overall setup will look and eventually how the spiders web will spread. you want lots of anchor points high up to provide plenty of options for the pinktoe to attach their webs to. this just overall lets them feel more secure overall. plastic plants work well for this, ive also used sphagnum moss for anchor points for smaller spiders. i use hot glue to attach the plants to the sides of the cage and/or the cork bark. cork bark looks great and avics will sometimes adopt their hide around it. (assuming its leaned against the side or back of the cage.) ive had success with cork rounds as well. i like to use deli cups, exo teras, and amac boxes for my avics." (by @Venom1080 )

"For ventilation (there's no science as to what is "enough holes" for proper ventilation) in deli cups I put a few holes up at the top in case the T makes a canopy and molts up top and needs water (I add water in with a blunt tip syringe if needed), and I put small holes around the top and vertically I make holes down the deli cup, usually 8 vertical lines of holes around the perimeter of the deli cup. I do similar routine for inverted AMAC boxes.

I keep my sub dry, primarily because it's easier AND it reduced the attraction of mites. I always clean the boli (spherical cricket remains) out off the substrate to minimize mold formation as they will grow mold.

I provide them a cork bark slab put at an angle from sub floor to top of the container, like a 45 degree, just lean it against the wall, no need to hot glue it. I would also strongly suggest you provide additional anchor points with moss hot glued to the slab OR even better some plastic plants. I use ones from ZooMed. I never use silk plants as they may have dyes.

Also, the plants are important because this genus likes to have cover. They don't like to be out in the open. If you don't provide cover you will observe your T typically with its legs pulled in, and very rarely move." (by @viper69 )

But again, read those articles. :)
i have begun reading those articles and your response was very helpful! Thank you. I am currently looking at new enclosures to get her. I am just having trouble deciding what dimensions work best haha. Thank you so much for your response!

Thekla

Arachnoprince
Another thing! If you don’t mind me asking, what size do you recommend for her arboreal enclosure in height?

i have begun reading those articles and your response was very helpful! Thank you. I am currently looking at new enclosures to get her. I am just having trouble deciding what dimensions work best haha. Thank you so much for your response!
I would go for about 3-4x her diagonal leg span in height and maybe 2x DLS in floorspace. Get a nice cork bark slab that extends from bottom to top, loads of fake foliage around the upper part of the cork bark and a well-sized water dish and you're good to go. :)

But always remember to keep the substrate dry and the enclosure very well ventilated. This is crucial for Avics. :)

jay444

Arachnosquire
I agree with Thekla, you setup is more suited for terrestrial than arboreal. I you can, I would suggest getting an enclosure with more height than width and depth. Here is my pink toe setup.

94885236_557867245151228_974201391364964352_n.jpg

Jlynsg16

Arachnopeon
I would go for about 3-4x her diagonal leg span in height and maybe 2x DLS in floorspace. Get a nice cork bark slab that extends from bottom to top, loads of fake foliage around the upper part of the cork bark and a well-sized water dish and you're good to go. :)

But always remember to keep the substrate dry and the enclosure very well ventilated. This is crucial for Avics. :)
Thank you so much! :)

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I strongly suggest you read and do research. Thek, cited one my posts. Q's come back here and ask.

Jlynsg16

Arachnopeon
I strongly suggest you read and do research. Thek, cited one my posts. Q's come back here and ask.
I just saw this, but I’ve taken that advice. I’ve continued to do my research and feel a lot better. I’ve got a new enclosure for Radish (that’s it’s name) yay. As well as other things.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I just saw this, but I’ve taken that advice. I’ve continued to do my research and feel a lot better. I’ve got a new enclosure for Radish (that’s it’s name) yay. As well as other things.
If you want post pics of setup here for advice etc