Beginner old world T?

jdoolittle761

Arachnopeon
Thinking of either a Pterinochilus murinus or Cyriopagopus lividus. Any suggestions are appreciated. I was also thinking about getting a scorpion like the heterometrus.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Both of those are VERY defensive T's that are not afraid to bolt or bite, given the opporitunity. For a starter OW, you may want to think about an A. enzendami or a Ceratogyrus species. They tend to be a little more calm than the ones you mentioned, and are also pretty cool ;) If you do decide to go with an OBT, which is the one I started with, just be extremely careful. Take all precautions with any OW. Btw, what T's have you owned NW wise? It may be in your best interest to work with a fast or defensive NW with less potent venom. All I can say is be very careful with OW, they can be a hand-full and can out you in the hospital :D

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
Thinking of either a Pterinochilus murinus or Cyriopagopus lividus. Any suggestions are appreciated. I was also thinking about getting a scorpion like the heterometrus.
I wouldn't consider those beginner OW species, I could recommend A.ezendami or something out of the Ceratogyrus genus. Although it isn't an OW, P.cambridgei make for an excellent T to bridge over to OW, if you can handle that you should be fine to try out some other stuff. The other two OW species you mentioned are super defensive and among the most feisty OW species available, they pack a punch venom wise and can be quite difficult to work with.

jdoolittle761

Arachnopeon
I have had my LP for 6 months and I'm looking for another T. I have no desire to hold poke or prod and tarantula unless it has escaped.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Nope, those species are NOT beginner OW species.

E.pachypus, A.ezendami, Ceratogyrus are beginner OW species.

jdoolittle761

Arachnopeon
So both of you have suggested an a ezendami I will look more into that. I understand the dangers of an old world and I think I can handle it. Like I said I don't intend to bother them other than to change substrate which is the only time I can see them attempting to escape or to bite

*edit* all 3 of you

Nightstalker47

Arachnoking
I have had my LP for 6 months and I'm looking for another T. I have no desire to hold poke or prod and tarantula unless it has escaped.
Of course, but 6 months with an LP won't prepare you for a super defensive OW with potent venom. Stick to NW for now...

I'd try the P.cambridgei first, they are awesome Ts and should warm you up for a future OW species, they aren't as venomous but can still be quite a handful. Why go for an OW so early? If you've only worked with L.parahybana you need to experience some arboreal speed and tendencies before you take the plunge to OW spiders.

basin79

ArachnoGod
Idiothele mira. Absolutely stunning little T's and if they're out and about (they're trap door tarantulas) they'd sooner run back to the safety of their burrow.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Try the Pelinobius muticus. Huge, thick back legs, and although they are highly defensive, they don't run, instead they just sit in the same spot and hiss.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Try the Pelinobius muticus. Huge, thick back legs, and although they are highly defensive, they don't run, instead they just sit in the same spot and hiss.
They do run. Towards you. ;)
Unless a sling, I wouldn't recommend the Queen yet after only owning an Lp for six months.

So both of you have suggested an a ezendami I will look more into that. I understand the dangers of an old world and I think I can handle it. Like I said I don't intend to bother them other than to change substrate which is the only time I can see them attempting to escape or to bite

*edit* all 3 of you
Well, no. It can try to bite and escape EVERY time you open the enclosure to be honest.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Nightstalker47 you're right I should just go for a faster nw t instead of running in blind with ow
If you want some practice with a defensive and or fast terrestrial species instead of a Psalmopoeus, a Phormictopus species or Ephebopus species are options, although they may already be a little over your head if you have only a Lp for practice...

jdoolittle761

Arachnopeon
So besides the p cambridgei are there any other nw ts that can help me gain more experience with tendencies and speed of ow

jdoolittle761

Arachnopeon
If you want some practice with a defensive and or fast terrestrial species instead of a Psalmopoeus, a Phormictopus species or Ephebopus species are options, although they may already be a little over your head if you have only a Lp for practice...
My lp isn't too calm she's flicked hairs at me just for opening her cage to change water and tries to attack anything that moves

Walker253

Arachnobaron
There are several OW's that are a more suitable choice than the P murinus or C lividus. Granted, they about the best looking imo, but the chances of being overwhelmed are there. C darlingi, C marshalli, P muticus are some good possible choices. P lugardi and E pachypus are good if you can find them. They are a bit less common in the US.

As far as speedy NW's, other than Psalmopoeus, Tapinauchenius species are lightning fast. As far as a fossorial NW, look at Ephebopus. Maybe an E murinus would be a good choice. It's quick and acts very OW.

mack1855

Arachnoangel
Arachnosupporter +
You have a whole lineup of very cool NW,s you haven't looked into.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I suppose you're right though hair flicking is nothing compared to an ow
Get a spider YOU want rather than one you think you need.

I do know my opinion on OW tarantulas isn't really liked but they're tarantulas. They are not a gaboon viper. They're not a black mamba or bush master.

If you've gone 6 months without incident there's absolutely no need to think you'll get nailed by an OW.

Commonsense, 12" tongs, a catch up. If you make an hole directly over the water dish and another away from it large enough to put a cricket through you don't even need to open the lid if the T isn't hiding away.

Personally (and yes I do have experience now but did have to start somewhere) I'd sooner get a threat posture off one of my OW's than a face full of hairs off one of my NW's.

EDIT
I'd also like to add that OW's aren't the end game. They're just tarantulas. I get tarantulas I like the look of.

JoshDM020

Arachnobaron
Id like to comment on the bit about changing substrate. The only time you need to do that is if you have a serious infestation of mites or some other "parasite" like that. Or if you're rehousing. Substrate doesnt go bad. If you clean out boli and poop on a regular basis, substrate has been commonly known to last decades.