Beginner needs advice on first T

Tuckoo

Arachnopeon
Hi there, I'm new here. I'll be getting my first T in a few weeks and I'm still trying to decide on a species. I thought I knew what I wanted but now I'm not sure. I had my heart set on a G. Pulchra, and one is available to me at a good price, but I've read that they don't like high humidity. I live on the west coast of Canada and the climate here is very humid. The forecast is currently calling for 93% humidity all week and that is not unusual by any means, to give you an idea. Of course it's slightly less humid in my house but not by much, and I can't have a dehumidifier running all the time. I think something that likes high humidity might be better for me. What do you think? :confused:
Some of my other options:
B. Vagans
L. Parahybana
A. Geniculata
Greenbottle blue (crazy expensive at the shop here, so not my first choice)
T. Blondi (which I REALLY want one day, but think it would be a bad idea as my first T)
I know super docile Ts are usually suggested for beginners, but I don't plan on handling it unless absolutely necessary so I don't feel that's a huge concern.
Sorry for the long winded post. Any advice would be very much appreciated!

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
If you keep it on dry substrate with a water dish, you'll be fine with a G pulchra.
Welcome to the hobby:D

dannyboypede

Arachnosquire
Hi there, I'm new here. I'll be getting my first T in a few weeks and I'm still trying to decide on a species. I thought I knew what I wanted but now I'm not sure. I had my heart set on a G. Pulchra, and one is available to me at a good price, but I've read that they don't like high humidity. I live on the west coast of Canada and the climate here is very humid. The forecast is currently calling for 93% humidity all week and that is not unusual by any means, to give you an idea. Of course it's slightly less humid in my house but not by much, and I can't have a dehumidifier running all the time. I think something that likes high humidity might be better for me. What do you think? :confused:
Some of my other options:
B. Vagans
L. Parahybana
A. Geniculata
Greenbottle blue (crazy expensive at the shop here, so not my first choice)
T. Blondi (which I REALLY want one day, but think it would be a bad idea as my first T)
I know super docile Ts are usually suggested for beginners, but I don't plan on handling it unless absolutely necessary so I don't feel that's a huge concern.
Sorry for the long winded post. Any advice would be very much appreciated!
I am pretty sure L. parahybana can tolerate high humidity, but I am not sure about the A. genic. As long as you know what you are doing, and have done your research, most people would say that T. blondi isn't a bad choice. They have bad hairs, need high heat and humidity, and get huge (as you probably know). Go with what you are comfortable with and what you can care for. It is up to you, as long as you can take care of what you get.

--Dan

p.s. Genus=capitalized Species=lower case ;)

Rob1985

This user has no status.
I am pretty sure L. parahybana can tolerate high humidity, but I am not sure about the A. genic. As long as you know what you are doing, and have done your research, most people would say that T. blondi isn't a bad choice. They have bad hairs, need high heat and humidity, and :razz:get huge (as you probably know). Go with what you are comfortable with and what you can care for. It is up to you, as long as you can take care of what you get.

--Dan

p.s. Genus=capitalized Species=lower case ;)
p.s. there is also a search option

Rue

Arachnoknight
I haven't received my T's yet either...but speaking from the experience of a long-time pet owner...

My advice is to get what you really want.

If you only want one T...and it's the T. blondi...and you're not thinking it's something that it's not (and you appear to have done your homework). Go ahead and get one.

joshuai

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
G pulchra is fine just keep it on dry substrate! I live in south central alaska and the humidity here is always in the 90's and ive had just about every readily available T never had a problem!

Tuckoo

Arachnopeon
thanks!

Wow thanks for all the quick replies. Good to know G. pulchra is still a possibility. My concerns with T. blondi right now are that I'm a student, so space and providing high temps could become an issue if I end up in dorms or something. I DO have someone offering me a large tank for free though... so many options. I only want one T right now but I don't think that'll last long :)

Rue

Arachnoknight
Also make sure you can actually have a T. blondi. Some cities have by-laws restricting what you can keep.

Tuckoo

Arachnopeon
Also make sure you can actually have a T. blondi. Some cities have by-laws restricting what you can keep.
T. blondis are okay here. Strangely, there seems to be an abundance of them and they go pretty cheap. A shop near where I live was just expanded to include a pretty decent selection of reptiles and Ts. They have a bunch of them, which I found really surprising.

Rue

Arachnoknight
I'd be surprised too! I scoured our closest city when I started looking ...and found 4 T's total...all the same species.

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
My pulchra burrows down to where the substrate is dampest, but they will have individual likes and dislikes even within a species.

You don't want a GBB. They like it dry and are prone to problems from fungi and molds when kept too damp.

Crispy9168

Arachnopeon
Just get what you like. Really the biggest thing is respect the spider, and try not to be too intimidated by overly aggressive specimens and there shouldn't be too many issues. If I had to suggest a spider from the list, i'd say the l. parahybana is good to start. if I were to say a different one, try a mexican redknee. I got my little girl (first tarantula) a bit ago, and she is one of the best pets i've ever had. Hope that helps! Welcome to the hobby!

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
I'd be surprised too! I scoured our closest city when I started looking ...and found 4 T's total...all the same species.
You know what I'm gonna have to agree with you. Here in West Virginia people only have G. Rosea's.. And maybe the occasionally pinktoe here or there. I wish there were breeders in West Virginia. I would love to start a T business here since there's not much competition around here. :eek: