Beginner interested in Millipedes

BonnieClyde

Arachnopeon
First time poster here. I recently came across a couple fishtanks and I'm really interested in getting some large millipedes for one. I have bred hissers for some time but I have no experience with millipedes, where is a good place to acquire just a few? Many of the websites I checked seem to be out of stock, and I want or order them now as I live in Alaska and they likely won't be able to ship once winter starts. Thanks for any info.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Truly large millipedes are hard to find in the US as many of the large/giant species are exotics, which aren't common this side of the Atlantic. Also, you may not find anybody willing to ship to Alaska; I know of no one off the top of my head who will ship outside of the lower 48.
Hopefully someone who knows a good seller will chip in...

Thanks,

Arthroverts

BonnieClyde

Arachnopeon
Truly large millipedes are hard to find in the US as many of the large/giant species are exotics, which aren't common this side of the Atlantic. Also, you may not find anybody willing to ship to Alaska; I know of no one off the top of my head who will ship outside of the lower 48.
Hopefully someone who knows a good seller will chip in...

Thanks,

Arthroverts
Thanks, I sort of expected that was the case, I will keep an eye out regardless

MadMilli

Arachnoknight
Thanks, I sort of expected that was the case, I will keep an eye out regardless
I have to agree with @Arthroverts on this one. To separate the terminology here, if you refer to Narceus americanus as a “large” millipede, your selection is widening. However, for the sake of easier communication here, something like Archispirostreptus gigas is more on the “giant” side of millipedes. Acquiring A. gigas in the lower 48 states as mentioned above is simply difficult as it stands. Trying to get someone to agree to ship a specimen into Alaska, especially being worth that much, that might be more difficult. I believe you could find some luck getting Narceus though, if you find someone willing to ship, so I urge you to continue your search. Alaska shouldn’t be left out in the hobby!

BonnieClyde

Arachnopeon
I have to agree with @Arthroverts on this one. To separate the terminology here, if you refer to Narceus americanus as a “large” millipede, your selection is widening. However, for the sake of easier communication here, something like Archispirostreptus gigas is more on the “giant” side of millipedes. Acquiring A. gigas in the lower 48 states as mentioned above is simply difficult as it stands. Trying to get someone to agree to ship a specimen into Alaska, especially being worth that much, that might be more difficult. I believe you could find some luck getting Narceus though, if you find someone willing to ship, so I urge you to continue your search. Alaska shouldn’t be left out in the hobby!
I guess I shouldn't have said large, I'm not looking for any kind of gigantic millipede here, average size I guess. I've found a few places that will ship up here so I might just make it happen.