Beginner heavy webbing species

PrincessAltina

ArachnoQueen
The title is pretty self explanatory, I'm looking for some beginner terrestrial heavy webbing species, something i can find easy enough in the US. I'm mainly looking for trapdoor spiders. I really like how diplura sanguinea look. Pictures would also be very much appreciated

mantisfan101

Arachnoprince
Kukulcania’s supposed to be tough as nails and make decent looking web hides

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
The title is pretty self explanatory, I'm looking for some beginner terrestrial heavy webbing species, something i can find easy enough in the US. I'm mainly looking for trapdoor spiders. I really like how diplura sanguinea look. Pictures would also be very much appreciated
I would strongly reccomend something like Linothele Fallax or Megatheloides, or Macrothele Gigas. Not sure of availability, but they are very heavy webbers and look absolutely magnificent. Most genuine trapdoors spin next to no webbing aside from maybe a few Actinopodidae but GL finding any. You'd be looking at using a medium-large plastic tub half filled with damp substrate and plenty of anchor points, most species do burrow but will readily display themselves as soon as food gets dropped in

basin79

ArachnoGod
I would strongly reccomend something like Linothele Fallax or Megatheloides, or Macrothele Gigas. Not sure of availability, but they are very heavy webbers and look absolutely magnificent. Most genuine trapdoors spin next to no webbing aside from maybe a few Actinopodidae but GL finding any. You'd be looking at using a medium-large plastic tub half filled with damp substrate and plenty of anchor points, most species do burrow but will readily display themselves as soon as food gets dropped in
Macrothele gigas for a beginner? I don't often if ever disagree with you but on this I am.

Whilst not deadly they still have potent venom, are absolutely rapid and extremely defensive.

PrincessAltina

ArachnoQueen
Im no stranger to hot species, i keep several androctonus, leiurus, and hottentotta scorps. I'm just not 100% familiar with spiders just yet

basin79

ArachnoGod
Im no stranger to hot species, i keep several androctonus, leiurus, and hottentotta scorps. I'm just not 100% familiar with spiders just yet
Ah ok the beginner threw me. Although a scorpion isn't a rapid spider. Maybe Macrothele calpeiana? They web up their enclosures but aren't as big, fast or defensive as gigas. Although they are still defensive.

See even Macrothele gigas can't climb smooth surfaces they web up their entire enclosures so within a fairly sort time frame they've got silk all the way to the top of their enclosure and thus can "climb" it.

F37D00DB-77B3-4503-A94B-D27FAFA4855C.gif

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
Macrothele gigas for a beginner? I don't often if ever disagree with you but on this I am.

Whilst not deadly they still have potent venom, are absolutely rapid and extremely defensive.
You caught me there, forgot about Macrothele venom

RezonantVoid

Hollow Knight
I get unacceptably complacent because all known native curtain webs here are harmless or unknown potency because they refuse to bite anyone. I start lumping the exotics in with ours

As a bit of a warning for just general CW speed, this happened yesterday when feeding some of my Australothele's. Luckily this species is extremely passive, and admittedly i have them in a far smaller than reccomended sized cup for transport, but as soon as i touched the lid this guy was on my hand
20200708_161005.jpg 20200708_161649.jpg 20200708_165933.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

basin79

ArachnoGod
I get unacceptably complacent because all known native curtain webs here are harmless or unknown potency because they refuse to bite anyone. I start lumping the exotics in with ours
Unknown potency could lead to an impromptu sit down though ha ha ha.

Obviously I don't know you and don't want to put words in your mouth but I've got a feeling rather than you getting "unacceptably complacent" you merely recommend because you'd be comfortable with them.
That's very easily done and up until recently I used to do it. It's only this place that has made me actually stop.

xmasol

Arachnopeon

Linothele are really amazing but omg. I was not ready for that speed... lmao no T can compare however, Joe Rossi usually sells them here on the forms! Their venom potency is irrelevant as IME mine will always use its speed to flee.