Beginner first Millipede

Arcaill

Arachnopeon
Hey, I have an old fish tank that is 35x35x55 (cm) So I am wondering what millipede I could keep in them and what millipedes are suitable for beginners. I have my Eye on the Atopochetus dollfusi - Rainbow millipede or the Chicobolus spinigerus- Ivory millipede but I also like the Anadenobolus monilicornis - Bumblebee millipede.

I already have lots of reading on them, but do they need a heating pad with winter closing in will they need a heating pad? some say yes others say no.
Should I mix some cuttlefish bone in the zoomed eco earth?

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
Hey, I have an old fish tank that is 35x35x55 (cm) So I am wondering what millipede I could keep in them and what millipedes are suitable for beginners. I have my Eye on the Atopochetus dollfusi - Rainbow millipede or the Chicobolus spinigerus- Ivory millipede but I also like the Anadenobolus monilicornis - Bumblebee millipede.

I already have lots of reading on them, but do they need a heating pad with winter closing in will they need a heating pad? some say yes others say no.
Ivory Millipedes or Bumblebee are an ideal beginners choice.
Rainbows are a bit more difficult.
All millipedes need a constant source of calcium, and cuttlefish is as good as any.
Yes they will need heating.
Heat mat mounted and insulated at the back and fixed on the outside of glass enclosures, mounted on the inside on wooden enclosures.
Always use with a good mat stat, and never place the heat mat under the enclosure.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Those are not really good beginner species. The dollfusi are not easy to find and even experienced breeders do not have a long track record. Bumblebees are easy to breed and keep, but they also die a lot. Chicobolus are hardier than both but not very long-lived. If you want a great pet that lives a little longer the Orthoporus are great for beginners (but do not breed). For longevity and reasonable hardiness I'd suggest most any Narceus and the Thai rainbows. Globular Tanzania, whitelegs and Maui seem pretty sturdy too.

The A. dollfusi are easy to get in Europe (not in North America), but still a poor choice for a beginner. You will never see any diplopod eating cuttlefish bone. Isopods eat it and may or may not benefit from it but diplopods do not so its use is an "urban legend" or "home remedy". Maybe cuttlefish bone just makes a good hide that isn't too heavy and won't smash molting animals like a rock. Temperature depends on species, most tropicals can do fine for a time at 18 C but it will eventually kill them. 24 C is better. Narceus are temperate, bigger than the others and can survive freezing.
There is an albino cultivar.

Dry Desert

Arachnoprince
The A. dollfusi are easy to get in Europe (not in North America), but still a poor choice for a beginner. You will never see any diplopod eating cuttlefish bone. Isopods eat it and may or may not benefit from it but diplopods do not so its use is an "urban legend" or "home remedy". Maybe cuttlefish bone just makes a good hide that isn't too heavy and won't smash molting animals like a rock. Temperature depends on species, most tropicals can do fine for a time at 18 C but it will eventually kill them. 24 C is better. Narceus are temperate, bigger than the others and can survive freezing.
There is an albino cultivar.
What a load of MISGUIDED statements.
Cuttlefish is one of the main sources of calcium for millipedes.
No they don't eat it - they nibble on it the same way as they will with carrots or similar non soft food.
Statements like " you can keep them at 18C is okay, but will eventually kill them" Wonderful advice!!
As previously stated Ivories or Bumblebees are an ideal beginners species, readily available and easy to keep and breed if required.
Before making anymore rash statements, I suggest you go back to the drawing board, as you now seem out of touch.