Beginner Desert Scorpion??

TimTarantula

Arachnopeon
I have recently delved into the world of tarantulas and I absolutely love them. I have been interested in scorpions for some time and decided now is the time to start a collection as well. My main questions are:

1. Is there a beginner desert species that someone could recommend?
2.I am looking for low maintenance, and something that doesn't have to have a heat pad (my room t would be kept in is about 77 degrees). Any ideas?

Thanks you!

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Hadrurus arizonensis, the Giant Desert Hairy, is an awesome species. It's defensive, large (5-6 inches) and it looks awesome with its black and tan armor. Scorpions like this are safe to keep despite their aggressive nature because unlike tarantulas, they can't climb the sides of their enclosure and have no ranged attack like urticating hairs. Even better, the scorpion can live with Blue Death Feigning Beetles and keep them as pets. They'll clean the tank for you and they can be handled easily.

Scorpion Luke

Arachnopeon
If you go with the desert hairy which I recommend as well try to get an adult one as they have trouble molting in captivity and can often be fatal. They can live over 20 years so it's still a great investment!

Sceliphron

Arachnopeon
Smeringurus mesaensis, dune scorpions, are also a really fun species. Mine is very fast and active, and you won't need to worry about mixing in clay for a burrowing substrate because they like loose sand instead.

DeeeeD

Arachnopeon
Desert hairy scorpion was my first desert scorp they are very easy to take care of and a great species to have. I would recommend starting with them but there are lots of different types if you want to be unique i just love them for their size and aggressiveness :)

scorpanok

Arachnoknight
hoffmannius spinigerus is a great choice if you want something active and inexpensive with the benefit of being able to keep several in the same setup.

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Hadrurus arizonensis (adult) or Smeringurus mesaensis (any age).

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
Technically, this isn't desert, but it is basically the same kevel of care. Any species of flat rock scorpion are great as beginner scorps. They can be kept with a mix of dirt and sand. They can be kept completely dry with a water dish. They are some of the longest scorps in the world, and love lives of 25-30 years +. They also have a look that no other scorpions have. They look like scorpion roadkill, flattened like a pancake :D Some of my favorites, and they generally don't have as many problems with molting as other desert scorps (mine have never molted, so take that with a pinch of salt ;))