Beginner beetle species?

AlphaTen223

Arachnopeon
what beetle species is good for beginners and can tolerate lower temperatures and maybe breed in lower ones other than darkling beetles.

Godzilla90fan

Arachnosquire
what beetle species is good for beginners and can tolerate lower temperatures and maybe breed in lower ones other than darkling beetles.
Shoot, I was gonna say darklings lol. They are so hardy, I lose a larvae and found as a beetle on my wall a month later.

wizentrop

to the rescue!
Old Timer
Pachnoda marginata is an easy species that no matter what mistakes you make is impossible to kill.

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Hello,
native US species easy to breed would be the following:
Gymnetis thula
Osmoderma eremicola
Osmoderma scabrum
Dynastes tityus
Lucanus elaphus

That’s just a small amount of the species you can culture.
Illegal species easy to breed include also the following:
Dicronorrhina derbyana ,layardi‘
Chlorocala africana
ssp

Best regards,
PillipedeBreeder

AlphaTen223

Arachnopeon
Hello,
native US species easy to breed would be the following:
Gymnetis thula
Osmoderma eremicola
Osmoderma scabrum
Dynastes tityus
Lucanus elaphus

That’s just a small amount of the species you can culture.
Illegal species easy to breed include also the following:
Dicronorrhina derbyana ,layardi‘
Chlorocala africana
ssp

Best regards,
PillipedeBreeder
Are dynasties Tityus able to breed in low temperatures? I thought they liked it a bit warmer, same goes for giant stag.

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Check the classified for adult beetles. They can live a crazy amount of time if kept cold early (not after they come out of hibernation).

AlphaTen223

Arachnopeon
Check the classified for adult beetles. They can live a crazy amount of time if kept cold early (not after they come out of hibernation).
I do actually have one more question, can they be kept together? If so how many could I put in a 10 gallon long?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
I do actually have one more question, can they be kept together? If so how many could I put in a 10 gallon long?
I keep 2 adult males and 6 females in a 10-gallon. Maybe 10-20 larvae but it depends and I keep them separate. You can buy larvae or adults but why wait a year or two for Christmas.

PillipedeBreeder

Arachnosquire
Hello,
I do have a question regarding this:
When exactly, at which age should the beetle be kept cold and which temperature range?
Do you mean with „hibernation“ the inactive stage after hatching, at room temperature, or an actual hibernation at a cooler temperature?

Best regards,
PillipedeBreeder

AlphaTen223

Arachnopeon
Hello,
I do have a question regarding this:

When exactly, at which age should the beetle be kept cold and which temperature range?
Do you mean with „hibernation“ the inactive stage after hatching, at room temperature, or an actual hibernation at a cooler temperature?

Best regards,
PillipedeBreeder
I can’t be 100% sure but I read somewhere that about two to three months before they pupate you should keep them at 50 degrees to replicate the cool period they would have in the wild before pupation.