Beginner 2.0

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Sort of... lol. So I used to have a thundering herd of fuzzies, but for a number of reasons got completely out of exotics for about the last 2-3 years. Well, somehow I came home from a reptile show over the weekend with a RCF rosie and an A. hentzi. (And a tub of discoids.)

So, set these guys up in 5.5 gallon Sterilites. But I'm having second thoughts about my choice of substrate. I used to be able to pick up a small bag of peat moss at Walmart more than sufficient to set up a number of small enclosures. Unfortunately, this time of year that doesn't seem to be the case. Hunted around, couldn't find a decent price on coco bedding either. (That, and I dreaded dealing with expanding and drying it out.) They had a small bag of peat at Lowes, but the damned stuff had some sort of plant food mixed in and I wasn't taking the chance of it being harmful.

What I did find was a nice, small, cheap bag of 100% vermiculite, and I had a clear memory of someone saying they used it and preferred it. Well, now that I have the bugs bedded down in the stuff, I can't find any references on here to back up that idea.

Anyway, my question to those less rusty than I is can I leave them on it or do I need to continue my search for some peat to mix in with it?

Thanks in advance~! ;)

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Welcome back (first and foremost:})

When I first got in the hobby, a number of folks posted they used the stuff, but you know, over the last four years, I haven't seen anyone post that they use the stuff straight or at all anymore.

I would say it would be ok, but, IMO I would look for a small bag of peat (peat tends to come in large bags) or a small bag of organic dirt.

I'm not big into eco/coconut husk products.

But again, I don't think that it will hburt them in the short run.

GL

PIG-

Bill S

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I haven't used vermiculite for tarantulas, but I've used it for hatching snake eggs. From what I remember, it clings to everything. In my mind I can picture a burrowing tarantula coated with tiny particles of vermiculite. But, as I said, I haven't tried it myself, so maybe someone else can offer a different perspective.

Drying the coco fiber isn't difficult. Don't oversoak it to begin with, let it expand overnight, keep it warm and dry (and loose) after that.

Snakecharm

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys. I think I will definitely keep my eye out for some peat and see if we can't achieve more of a 50/50 mix~