Before purchasing...

Iktomi

Arachnoservant
Old Timer
Next on my list of course it a T. blondi...
My question is this: is there any truth to this species being particularly hard to keep, health wise? I've heard they are really fragile...

Off the subject but kinda funny...
I lost my curlyhair sling up the sleeve of my shirt the other day...I had no idea the the little buggers could run that fast! Took me 20 minutes of holding still while my wife searched me to find it...
coulda been worse, I guess. ;)

Wade

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Slings are known to have molting problems, at least several of the ones I've owned have. I purchased 4 slings several years ago and only one made it to maturity (male, of course :mad: ).

It's been suggested by many keepers that this species is much more moisture sensitive than most and require more humid enclosures, while others have said they keep them on the dry side just fine. Who's right? Probably both in some ways...not very helpful there, sorry.

One thing to watch out for when purchasing wild caught adults of this species is that sometimes gasoline is used to drive them out of thier burrows. While T's collected this way may live long enough to be imported and purchased, they may eventually die of poisoning. Purchasing from a reputable dealer (who quarrentines new imports for a period prior to selling) may help dodge this particular risk.

To a newer keeper (not saying you are one) I'd probably recomend something like Lasiodora parahybana over T. blondi. Also a very big spider, but much more hardy and inexpensive. As it happens, I also purchased 4 of these at about the same time I got the blondis...and all 4 made it to adulthood, 3 of them female :)

Wade

Wade