Beetles? Where?

Nev

Arachnopeon
Im looking at getting a beetle for my desert terrarium. I was looking at the blue death feigning beetle but the only person I know that has them wont ship to Canada. So I dont know where else to look.
Id love to have a scarab also but dont know who sells them to Canada either... Suggestions anybody?

Ignaz

Arachnopeon
Field collecting

The Osoyoos desert shoud have a fair amount of insects to offer the collector. If this is to far to travel try finding a member in the area to collect for you. Other wise I would go with Zophobus morio, you should be able to produce your own.

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
+1 for Osoyoos BC. It is a wonderful pocket of flora and fauna in Canada that has a great selection of interesting creatures.

Anansis

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
It is illegal to import beetles into Canada without a permit wherefore you'll have to content yourself with native species.

Ollie

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Ignaz,

Barney's website has listed them (wrong genus, misspelled species and all) for many, many years, but they are not typed in green text and are hence, not available.

Well done in your search, however! That's about a close as you can get, without actually finding them yourself, on the desert floor (with one exception).

Like your "fellow-continentals" have suggested, why not try your desert? Natives are best anyway!

Last edited:

Ignaz

Arachnopeon
I'm not Canadian

It was I who first suggested local collection not his countrymen. I still say go with Zophobas morio, thar are quite entertaining. Or not?

Elytra and Antenna

Arachnoking
Arachnosupporter +
Z.morio stinks like mad and it's not a desert species (adults are relatively intolerant of dryness). They have defensive secretion ports and glands in both the abdomen and thorax.

Ignaz

Arachnopeon
Zophobas morio

I have been culturing these for nearly 10 years keeping the adults as dry as the larvae and have had no issue keeping adult alive for five months. I know of moister methods of keeping them but this has worked for me. I do agree they do smell, but for me it is only when the adults are harassed or if a culture get moist. I thought they would work as display insect in a terrarium, I guess I am wrong.