Beetle Larvae ( Megasoma elephas)

Matus

Arachnopeon
I was changing the substrate for my beetle larvae. It doesnt want to dig in , doesnt move very much . And its REALLY sqishy for some reason . Any help ?

Attachments

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
I was changing the substrate for my beetle larvae. It doesnt want to dig in , doesnt move very much . And its REALLY sqishy for some reason . Any help ?
Can’t access the video...:confused:

Tried uploading an image?

What instar is the larva, what is the husbandry like etc.?

Matus

Arachnopeon
Can’t access the video...:confused:

Tried uploading an image?

What instar is the larva, what is the husbandry like etc.?
Not sure why you cant see the video. But the larvae is in third instar i believe and it just doesnt want to dig into substrate , just moves the legs a bit , and its like really really squishy .

ColeopteraC

Arachnobaron
Not sure why you cant see the video. But the larvae is in third instar i believe and it just doesnt want to dig into substrate , just moves the legs a bit , and its like really really squishy .
What colour is the larvae, if it appears to have ‘contracted’ or desiccated slightly (of course not properly dry) it could be in a prepupal phase.

If not this could be a response to something in the substrate, where do you source your substrate components? (Near any coniferous trees, potential pesticides or toxins).

If so I’d recommend you replace the sub with other sub from a different source (avoiding the previously stated variables).

Matus

Arachnopeon
Yo man thank you for responding but unfortunatly it died. It molted to third instar like a month ago so definetly not prepupal stage .I got my substrate in boxes in my basement and my other larvae is still pretty fine and growing ( with the same substrate). Had 3 of them but now just one remaining. So iguess beetles are just not for me.