Beef hart

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Beef heart

A question for those of you that feed beff heart to you t's, do you warm it first or just feed it cold?

Last edited:

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Definitely thaw it to room temperature. The kind I get comes in individualy packaged cubes. I just run one under warm water for a while until it's completely thawed and it's good to go.

Atrax

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To be perfectly honest, I haven't tried it with very many of my T's yet. Those I've tried it with are P. nigricolor, L. cristata, and A. coloradanum. The only one that hasn't taken it yet is the coloradanum...that one's a very tiny s'ling right now though which may be why. It's a little strange feeding it to them because the beef heart doesn't move like regular prey does. I just put it in a shallow dish and figured the T will find it. After a while I check back and will find the T standing over the meat doing it's thing. One of my giant centipedes has taken to the beef heart nicely too. This weekend I'll be trying it out on several more T's. You want me to keep you posted?

Atrax

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

hey guys i've been considering doing this myself , the guy who sells crickets here in town told me he won't be able to get any for the next 2 weeks(this really sucks), my t's ate a week ago and i'm worried about them well starving(their all slings), how much does that stuff cost, and could you post a pic of the package it comes in so i can have a better idea to look for? thanks--Jeff, anyhow first thing monday i'm gonna order a 1000 mealworms from worm man, but i wanna check this out also.

Charlie

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
beef heart

I have not been able to find beef heart yet. I tried chicken breast but none of them have taken it yet.

-Charlie

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Re: re

Originally posted by Weapon-X
how much does that stuff cost, and could you post a pic of the package it comes in so i can have a better idea to look for?
Hey Jeff. Here's the stuff I got. They carry it at petsmart (I know I know but I DON'T get my crix there. ;P ) in a freezer by the fish food and stuff. It was like 4 or 5 bucks for 24 cubes.

Atrax

Attachments

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Shucks he beat me to it.;) Oh well I'll post it anyway. I get it from Petco and it cost $3.99 for 40 cubes

Attachments

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Good god! I got ripped off! :mad:
Well, to Petco I go. ;)
I beat ya to the pic but your good shopping sense kicked my good shopping sense's ass! :p

Atrax

Weapon-X

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
re

ahhhh cool , its originaly for fish!, theres one petstore here and all he sells is fish so i'm pretty sure he's got it or can get it, thanks guys that was pretty informative--Jeff

galeogirl

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Be careful feeding beef heart to your ts. I'm almost positive that it was the source of the mystery disease that killed almost all of my slings. It was the only common factor among all the ts that died. If you're using beef heart from the grocery store, be sure to freeze it to help kill off anything that might be lurking in it. The fish food from Petco is probably safe since it looks like it's been processed.

genious_gr

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
What's so special with beef heart?? Beef kidney or beed liver or beef balls won't do???
The point is, can't I give my T' a piece of regular meat???

Henry Kane

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Originally posted by galeogirl
Be careful feeding beef heart to your ts. I'm almost positive that it was the source of the mystery disease that killed almost all of my slings. It was the only common factor among all the ts that died. If you're using beef heart from the grocery store, be sure to freeze it to help kill off anything that might be lurking in it. The fish food from Petco is probably safe since it looks like it's been processed.
Thanks for the heads-up Galeo. That's the reason I've been trying it on a couple T's at first. Maybe I'll hold back for a while before I try it on any more new sp.. I'm guessing that it would have to be processed for fish but you never know. I'm not going to take the chance.
Thanks again. :)

Atrax