Because of all the rat questions.....

Psycho

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
For any of you who keep rats as pets, or who are intending to keep the same breeding pair I found, (when we had rats), that there is a diet I really like for them.

This is what we always mixed...

1 box total cereal

1 bag ( the cheap no name stuff) puffed rice

1 bag puffed wheat

1 bag soy nuts (unsalted)

1 bag unsalted sunflower seeds if you can find them otherwise we used peanuts in the shell unsalted

1 container of dried bananas
and or
1 container of dried cranberries (helps with urinary tract stuff)

1 container of dried oats

This actually makes a GOOD sized batch we kept ours in a garbage bag. It lasts quite a while also. I quite enjoy making my own food mixes for my fuzzy animals.

~~~Psycho~~~

Code Monkey

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would consider adding in some dog food to that mix as it's a bit low on the protein. Obviously not so cheap, but I've found that VitaKraft's rat food is the best commercial mix I've found but it's not something you'd be wanting to spend money on unless they're loved pets as opposed to feeders.

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just dropped off my rats to the petstore today for their breeding program. I'm so sad. :( But it had to be done.

scorpio

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
The mix you describe is very close to fiesta hamster and gerbil, which pretty much works for mice, rats, etc.

I fed my rats lab blocks, as they last a while, and have very balanced nutritional value. However, rats scavenge, so you could feed them anything.

neveragain

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Before my rat died, I was feeding it Wellness dog food. I figured that it was such a good food for dogs, then it would be great for the rat. I would get like 2 bags of it for like 8 bucks and it lasted a decent amount of time. I also gave her some other stuff like pieces of chicken, steak, etc. Basicaly whatever I had for dinner, I'd give some to my rat.