Beardies

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Just got myself a baby bearded dragon for 15 bucks couldn't resist. I've already done some research and I guess I know the basics. Mist the dragon's head every once in a while. Dry substrate, 10 gallon tank for babies. Feed insects and greens(lettuce not very nutritious) ect. What i want is some tips from keepers on these guys. What is the best way to heat the enclosure? Side heat pad, lamp, or under tank heater?.How do i know if mine is a morph? It looks kinda light with light orange/red. I'll post some pics later.

Arachnophilist

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
well if you post pics I am sure it can be IDed as any particular morph it may be.. where did you get it from? and there are lots of good beardie sheets online.. there are many kinds of greens to feed your beardie that are better than lettuce. Dandelion greens and flowers are good for them and easy to find. make sure you use calcium and I use a lamp for heat on my beardie

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
at a local petshop. Their the only petshops that I know that sell H.spinifers and thats what I went in for but ended up seeing the dragons. The guy that works there and I have become friends so he hookep me up with the price.

Falyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Ok besides heat you need UVA and UVB lighting so your going to need a screen lid on the tank because the UV wont go through glass. Temp wise you want between 95 -110F for day and can go around 65 for night, if you have trouble keeping that temp you can use a under tank heater for at night.Also like most animals hot side cool sides of the tank.
Climbing stuff basking logs that kind thing for decoration.
For his food nothing bigger then the space between his eyes.Squash, mustard greens, dandilion greens,alfalpha plant,cactus pear,collard greens,endive and turnip greens are good staple everyday foods to name a few. Stay away from all lettuce and spinich.
For substrate it all depends, i have Zoink my beardie on vit sand and he does fine on it but it all depends on what you like and trust. Alot of ppl use paper towels or carpet.
Bathe him once a week in shallow water in the tub lol he might not like it but it will help keep him hydrated and help with his shedding.
also a really good site for beardie info is www.beardeddragon.org Gl with nhim and enjoy him.. They got awsome personalitys lol

Falyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks. What exatly is UVA and UVB?
Its part of full spectrum lighting like you would get from the sun, use a Reptiglo or a reptisum bulb 8.0 or 5.0, They need this lighting or they have a high risk of getting metabolic bone disease and that will kill them.So with a combanation of the UV and the calcium n vits on the food it will keep that away.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
okay i have a uvb bulb that I'm using right now but do I need both running at the same time. What about natural sunlight I take him out for about an hour a day.

Falyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
they need full spectrum for around 12 hours a day and yes they need both running at the same time.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
okay thanks for the help I hate feeling like such a newb again. But I do this for all my pets.

Falyn

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
not a problem just take good care of him and he should do fine and if you can post a pic someone on here can probly figure out if hes a morph or not for ya. Zoink my beardie is sunfire morph hes got alot of the reds and oranges on him.

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Don't mist inside the tank. That will cause humidity in the tank risking your Bearded Dragon of a Respiratory Infection. Do it outside the tank and just let him dry off :worship:

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Ok thanks kinda already knew that. Plus myu substrate is that walnut shell sand and I use that for my scorps as well so I know the risk of mold thats involved. I took a pic of my camera (w.o memory card) and now I can't find the damn usb cable.

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I hate to say this... but walnut shell is a horrible substrate for a brand new Beardie.. or even an old one, for that matter. The risk of ingesting and becoming impacted is really unnecessarily HIGH.

You could keep him on paper towels until he has some size... then switch him over to slate or ceramic tiles (looks natural, too).

Another option is NOT feeding him in his enclosure.

I look forward to pics of the little guy. My little guy was rescued a few months ago... being eaten by his prey and gulping up sand by the mouthfuls, no proper lighting, etc. Now, he's growing like a weed and is beyond SPOILED ROTTEN!

Good Luck with your little one! :)

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I actually figured that already I onlt feed him his green in the inclosure but in a little food dish. The crix get eaten on my tile floor!:). But in the package it has a bearded dragon on the front and it says it's safe if the reptile consumes it. Just like the eco earth says and that's where I keep my ball python.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
IBut in the package it has a bearded dragon on the front and it says it's safe if the reptile consumes it.
Don't trust the packaging, packaging LIES. Just like calci-sand's packaging says it's great and totally safe if animals eat it, but ask any vet how many dead animals they've seen due to that crap. Hot rocks? Same. Pine and cedar are toxic to all small animals, but you know what their packaging says? That's right. :D

Avic_Addict

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
ask any vet how many dead animals they've seen due to that crap.
So far in my time in surgery:

Calci-sand deaths - 58 leopard geckos, 22 beardies, 2 iguanas and 1 baby blue tounge skink.

Walnut/corn granule deaths - 41 beardies, 8 leopard geckos, 3 baby corns

Those are just a few of my computerised records, I'm sure the other vets I work with have similar figures.

~Abyss~

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I invested about 100 dollars in buying what I need for my dragon and I forgot to get a different subs. What do you guys recomend. regular sand? Or just newspaper. I really wouldn't want to use newspaper.

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
What do you guys recomend. regular sand? Or just newspaper. I really wouldn't want to use newspaper.
Regular sand is just as bad as calci-sand. Newspaper is one good option. Look over in the "omg cute" thread--I believe the beardie in the pictures is living on some shelf liner. You can also use various forms of slate tile or whatever it is people like to use. Or reptile carpet, though you'd have to be careful it wasn't the kind with loops that his nails could get caught in and get torn off.