Bearded Dragon Question: Black Beard

AgileAttorney

Arachnopeon
I have a male beadie and was wondering if his black beard is a sign of stress? or if he is just looking for a lady friend? thanks

bugmankeith

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I've seen beardies with blueish beards, I always thought it meant they were mature?

rm90

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
The answer can differ. I've always thought if they have a black beard, they are angry.

AgileAttorney

Arachnopeon
well hes eating and pretty healthy but maybe hes just getting used to his new home? not sure got him a couple weeks ago, but should i worry if it keeps happening?

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
they use the beard for lots of things...their beard will change colors sometimes because of nothing, or if they are around another dragon, or if they are angry...they just do that...hence the name bearded dragon

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
the beard goes pretty bklack when theyr horney too, lol
Ever seen them copulate? its horrid lol, sounds like sand paper..lol

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Actually the dominant male will have a black beard and is completely normal.

secular

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i think it's correct to say the beard is used for different things, beardies are very expressive. the beard may be black and they may sometimes gape if in fear, or perhaps a dragon might have the beard out to show dominance (like when out of the enclosure and exploring new territories). mine might show me a black beard if he's just annoyed by something. so i think there are a variety of scenarios, and once you've been around your pet for awhile it will become more clear what they're trying to say. i have a 2.5 year old male beardie and he's full of personality and quite fun. :)

AgileAttorney

Arachnopeon
thanks for all the responses guys/gals ya hes one of my faves out of my animal collection but way harder to take care of then all my 8 ts haha