Bearded Dragon care

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
I recently got some money for Christmas and I plan on getting a bearded dragon. I have kept two in the past, they were actually the first pets I had. They died a few years ago due to constipation. I have since kept other reptiles and have a much better understanding of them. I would like to get another. I would like some care tips, looking back on the care I gave them I am kind of embarrassed as I now realize how bad the care was. I was much younger and didn't understand that I was doing anything wrong. That was me and my parents fault. But, now I think I am ready to meat these needs. My biggest question is what substrate do I use? I know that sand causes impaction and that is what I used in the past. I was given a 20-gallon the other day and it came with a few supplies for bearded dragons such as a reptile carpet. I also need some other tips. Anything that is important I would like to know.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
I just thought of some other questions. I have both 10 and 20 gallons I could use, I plan on buying a hatchling. Should I put them in the 10 or 20 first? Is 20 gal goods for adults? I heard that they need UVB is this true?

Draketeeth

Arachnoknight
A 20 gal. isn't that big and babies grow pretty quick. I'd personally start with it and upgrade from there if the baby is good sized. If it's tiny, maybe use the 10 but you probably won't be in it for very long. By the time the dragon is grown, it's gonna need a 55+ gal. terrarium.

Yes, they need the UVB light and a basking light.

Substrate is probably the biggest debated thing in reptile keeping. When I had my dragon I kept him on a reptile calcium sand. Don't remember the brand. To my knowledge it never caused him any problems, but I'd heard sometimes they get a taste for it and will eat it. Mine never did so I felt it was pretty safe in that respect. The product said it wouldn't cause impactions. Reptile carpet used to be much debated because lizards can snag their nails in the little loops. Don't know if that's still an issue or if they've changed the design since I last went shopping for supplies. Some people swear by newspaper in the bottom of the cage, but I wouldn't use it because newspaper is pretty dirty and the print can transfer. Unglazed tiles is a more common recommendation than it used to be. Supposed to be decently easy to clean, heavy enough the dragon can't move them easily, and still rough enough to help wear down the nails.

VaejovisCarolineanusSDS

Arachnoknight
A 20 gal. isn't that big and babies grow pretty quick. I'd personally start with it and upgrade from there if the baby is good sized. If it's tiny, maybe use the 10 but you probably won't be in it for very long. By the time the dragon is grown, it's gonna need a 55+ gal. terrarium.

Yes, they need the UVB light and a basking light.

Substrate is probably the biggest debated thing in reptile keeping. When I had my dragon I kept him on a reptile calcium sand. Don't remember the brand. To my knowledge it never caused him any problems, but I'd heard sometimes they get a taste for it and will eat it. Mine never did so I felt it was pretty safe in that respect. The product said it wouldn't cause impactions. Reptile carpet used to be much debated because lizards can snag their nails in the little loops. Don't know if that's still an issue or if they've changed the design since I last went shopping for supplies. Some people swear by newspaper in the bottom of the cage, but I wouldn't use it because newspaper is pretty dirty and the print can transfer. Unglazed tiles is a more common recommendation than it used to be. Supposed to be decently easy to clean, heavy enough the dragon can't move them easily, and still rough enough to help wear down the nails.
I think I will try the calcium sand. I am about to head to the pet store to go and get the Bearded Dragon and supplies. Maybe another tarantula as well.

Turiell

Arachnopeon
I know this is an old post, but @Draketeeth mentioned that one can get unglazed tiles to put in a bearded dragon tank. Where would I get that from? Like from Lowe's or some such place? And if so, would they cut it to fit the tank?

I'm seriously thinking about getting a bearded dragon and I've started my research. If anyone who keeps dragons would like to pm me and give me tips, that would be awesome! Thanks everyone!

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
Please do NOT use calcium sand. That is the one sand that almost always does cause issues. If you absolutely must use sand, play sand (20lb bag at Lowe's for $8 near me) is a safer product.
I know this is an old post, but @Draketeeth mentioned that one can get unglazed tiles to put in a bearded dragon tank. Where would I get that from? Like from Lowe's or some such place? And if so, would they cut it to fit the tank?

I'm seriously thinking about getting a bearded dragon and I've started my research. If anyone who keeps dragons would like to pm me and give me tips, that would be awesome! Thanks everyone!
I got tile from Lowe's and yes they cut it for me. Mine was for Leopard geckos however. Be very certain of your measurements when you go in to buy the tile though, or you'll be making multiple trips for minor changes. Which they do charge for after the first cut.

Turiell

Arachnopeon
@CWilson1351 Hi, thank you for your reply, I appreciate it! I definitely do not plan on using sand. I've been doing research and I know it causes way too many problems for the poor things. I plan on using either the tile or reptile carpet.

I have a question about the lights. I know they need a basking light as well as a UVA/UVB light, and that they need 12-14 hours of light during the day, which can be set on a timer. My question is do both lights go off at night when it's time for the dragon to rest, or does the UVA/UVB light stay on all the time? That was something I wasn't sure about so thought I'd ask!

CWilson1351

Arachnobaron
@CWilson1351 Hi, thank you for your reply, I appreciate it! I definitely do not plan on using sand. I've been doing research and I know it causes way too many problems for the poor things. I plan on using either the tile or reptile carpet.

I have a question about the lights. I know they need a basking light as well as a UVA/UVB light, and that they need 12-14 hours of light during the day, which can be set on a timer. My question is do both lights go off at night when it's time for the dragon to rest, or does the UVA/UVB light stay on all the time? That was something I wasn't sure about so thought I'd ask!
Good to hear! As for the lights, yes. All lights off at night. If your temperatures are getting low (65F or lower) I'd recommend a ceramic Heat emitter to keep the dragon warm.
I don't keep any myself, but I have countless friends and acquaintances who do.

basin79

ArachnoGod
I recently got some money for Christmas and I plan on getting a bearded dragon. I have kept two in the past, they were actually the first pets I had. They died a few years ago due to constipation. I have since kept other reptiles and have a much better understanding of them. I would like to get another. I would like some care tips, looking back on the care I gave them I am kind of embarrassed as I now realize how bad the care was. I was much younger and didn't understand that I was doing anything wrong. That was me and my parents fault. But, now I think I am ready to meat these needs. My biggest question is what substrate do I use? I know that sand causes impaction and that is what I used in the past. I was given a 20-gallon the other day and it came with a few supplies for bearded dragons such as a reptile carpet. I also need some other tips. Anything that is important I would like to know.
http://www.reptileforums.co.uk/forums/lizards/1105953-basic-guide-keeping-bearded-dragon.html

Dennis Nedry

Arachnodemon
For substrate I've heard that hard packed clay with only a little bit of loose substrate on top is good. Also make sure they have something to climb on, it's very common to see them up on shrubs and fallen trees in the wild

Todd729

Arachnopeon
I suggest using tile. Repticarpet can harbor a lot of bad bacteria that can be harmful to your beardie.

zyphonix223

Arachnosquire
Never use sand. If you want something like a reptile carpet just use paper towels, they are basically the same but if the lizard poops on the carpet it stains whereas the paper towel you throw away. I use tiles because they are easy to clean, safe and keep warm from the lamp.