Be aware Grammostola maule!

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Okay kids! I purchased a Grammostola sp. Maule which it turns out to be the one and only Grammostola sp. Conception. So for those of you who are purchasing Grammostola sp. Maule please double check of what you just purchased. I have not seen Grammostola sp. Conception for a few years now and it is making me wonder why? I bought only one and I let the seller know that the spider I bought from him was not Grammostola sp. Maule and that it was Grammostola sp. Conception. I told him I was not mad cause I actually was looking for the Grammostola sp. Conception. So it worked out for the better. And now I purchased the rest that he has left and he assure me after him looking at the rest of his Grammostola sp. Maule a lot closer that they are in fact Grammostola sp. Conception as I stated. Yeah baby!
I will say this again always do your research of what species you get from any seller once you receive your spider not unless you positively know that is what you just purchased. This will help you prevent hybrids, confusion and headaches. Anyways here she is I was told she molted about a month ago, the photo was taken inside the house the lightning is a little off but you can clearly see the metatarsus on her.

Jose

Silberrücken

Arachnoangel
Jose, you are so lucky. Beautiful spider, and glad you grabbed all the seller had. I haven't seen these for a while either. Are you planning on breeding them? If so, please keep us updated! We need more of these beauties. :D

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
I assume you identified it as sp. " Conception" by the short and wide metatarsal scopulae, but do we know if the spider sold as sp. "Maule" doesn't share this same trait? Is it possible they were the same spider being sold under two names all along? I've never owned sp."Maule" myself, but the pics on line look similar for whatever that's worth.

Later, Tom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I assume you identified it as sp. " Conception" by the short and wide metatarsal scopulae, but do we know if the spider sold as sp. "Maule" doesn't share this same trait? Is it possible they were the same spider being sold under two names all along? I've never owned sp."Maule" myself, but the pics on line look similar for whatever that's worth.

Later, Tom
Hey muchacho! Yes I'm going by the metatarsal scopulae as you mention. As far as the Grammostola sp. Maule I'm in the same boat as you, I never had own one. By comparing photos from other owners and from what I have heard of the Grammostola sp. Maule does not have the disc formation like the Grammostola sp. Conception does on the metatarsal. I think at one point the real Grammostola sp. Maule was sold correctly but thru the years or months the Grammostola sp. Conception is getting mixed up as the Grammostola sp. Maule. Kind of like the Aphonopelma sp. right now that is happening with them. This is what I think is happening with this species. Here is a better photo of her from top dorsal view and I'm also providing a link of what the Grammostola sp. Maule looks like. http://thebts.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?6196-Grammostola-sp-Maule
Now it would be great if someone posts up a photo of the Grammostola sp. Maule that knows about them a lot so we can get a better look at it or at least get more info on that species.

Jose

Last edited:

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Awesome find! We are all jealous :) Just out of curiosity, how many did you buy?
Two more and they are also suppose to be female. I will be selling them I just need a fresh molt out of them so we are probably thinking next year, hopefully this year but we shall see! In the mean time I will be trying to get a male somehow. I'm only concentrating on breeding certain species and this one I might include to breed. So who knows?

Jose

Jose

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Jose........this looks just like a T they have at a LPS......they have it labeled as Grammostola Zebra......I seen it and was like I have never seen or heard of this T....my 1st guess was its a Eupalaestrus campestratus (Pink Zebra Beauty) but after seeing your photos it looks just like that one

I'll see if I can swing by there and get a photo tomorrow.........IF they still have it

cantthinkofone

Arachnodemon
theres a T at my local petsmart with these EXACT looks. although it could just be my memory lapsing in on itself.

Philth

N.Y.H.C.
Old Timer
From these pics it does appear to be a different species, although I'd still like to see a ventral shot of sp."Maule" metatarsus.

later, Tom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Jose........this looks just like a T they have at a LPS......they have it labeled as Grammostola Zebra......I seen it and was like I have never seen or heard of this T....my 1st guess was its a Eupalaestrus campestratus (Pink Zebra Beauty) but after seeing your photos it looks just like that one

I'll see if I can swing by there and get a photo tomorrow.........IF they still have it
I had one in 2009 and that was the only one I ever encounter until now. I did get mine out of California. I know they are suppose to be very gentle and I have found them this way. I most likely going to keep one for myself and the rest in will eventually sell. This species is very pretty! So if I was you I go and try and pick one up.

Jose

---------- Post added 01-29-2014 at 10:27 PM ----------

Here's a pic of my Grammostola sp. "Maule" not the best pic.

http://i1074.photobucket.com/albums/w414/jaylong1/DSC00541_zps9c3da3b9.jpg

Edit: this one is better for the purpose of seeing the legs.
Philth, everyone else and I would like you to do ventral photo if you can.

Jose

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The striping looks more prominent, but those setae on the metatarsus are certainly wider, reminding me of arboreals. VERY COOL...Nice red coloring too!

Curious jay

Arachnodemon
I had one in 2009 and that was the only one I ever encounter until now. I did get mine out of California. I know they are suppose to be very gentle and I have found them this way. I most likely going to keep one for myself and the rest in will eventually sell. This species is very pretty! So if I was you I go and try and pick one up.

Jose

---------- Post added 01-29-2014 at 10:27 PM ----------

Philth, everyone else and I would like you to do ventral photo if you can.

Jose
Hi Jose,

I think shes currently in premolt (could be fasting) so she isn't the most co-operative at the moment , I'm hoping she will molt in the next couple of months if she's in premolt (she has a withered palp on the right in the photo) so could take a bit longer.

If I catch her on a good day ill get a photo uploaded for you.

Last edited:

LordWaffle

Arachnobaron
Two more and they are also suppose to be female. I will be selling them I just need a fresh molt out of them so we are probably thinking next year, hopefully this year but we shall see! In the mean time I will be trying to get a male somehow. I'm only concentrating on breeding certain species and this one I might include to breed. So who knows?

Jose

Jose
Well that's exciting. I might have to try to nab one in the future ;)

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
went by the LPS and the T was gone.......the guy said they should be getting more.......so I'll keep an eye out

misslanie29

Arachnopeon
Here is my Big female G sp Maule. you can see that the legs look different then the pictures of the conseption. DSC04878.jpg DSC04877.jpg DSC04876.jpg

misslanie29

Arachnopeon
This is a picture of my male G. sp Maule. The males and females look different. the males look more "fluffy". DSC04880.jpg DSC04879.jpg