Bay Area Scorpion info

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Okay, so my ankle is healing fast now that I am mostly staying off of it. So I'm waiting to get $20 so I can get a bus to North Bay area to go looking for U. mordax and Paruroctonus silvestrii. Anyone here familiar with these species in habitat? I'm specifically wondering if they live in burrows or scrapes, or both. As well as anything else that would help me find them, such as a preference for certain habitats, trees, etc.

Thank you very much! The hunt is back on. :p

scorpionmom

Arachnobaron
Glad you are back to hunting!:D

I am not familiar to that area at all, but there is something for the habitat of U. mordax on The Scorpion Fauna in the "Biotopes" section. U. mordax probably lives under ground litter and rocks. P. silvestrii probably has a similar habitat. Hope that helped.

Good luck with your search and travels!;)

voldemort

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
good luck sir, hope you grab WAY more than you can keep and send some our ways:p

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Well as I'm living out of a small school type backpack right now, the most I could keep with me would be about 1, and that's a stretch. :)

I will hopefully have some up here soon, if I find them that is. :D

Thanks for all the responses! :bow:

Irene B. Smithi

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sounds like fun!!! I love the Bay area :) My husband is from there... unfortunately I don't know where any of the scorpions are.

BUT, if you get the chance to... here is a great Chinese restaurant :) They have the best Won Ton Soup I've ever eaten!!!! Well worth the trip!!

Best of luck.

skippy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
U mordax has shown up under rocks and logs for me on a pretty regular basis. You might consider looking out for Calisoga longitarsus while you're out here as well.

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Success!!!!

I took a friend out for a hike today as more of a date than anything. I really didn't think I would find anything, let alone what I did!

I haven't counted yet, but I believe I have about a dozen scorpions of two different species, and about 8 3" millipedes. Wahoo!

And after weeks of rain in NorCal, looks like we have about a week ahead of sunshine!! Yes! :3:

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
After counting and I.D.ing the scorpions.

9 U. mordax
11 3" black millipedes

Found close to Sonoma, CA

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
After counting and I.D.ing the scorpions.

9 U. mordax
11 3" black millipedes

Found close to Sonoma, CA
would have so gave you some money for your bus trips if you could bring me back some of the local species! :D

Nomadinexile

Arachnoking
Old Timer
LOL. I actually may be able to do that. Despite a lot of plans for this summer, I think I have to make a quick hitch to Indiana to get my birth certificate. I lost my passport in S.D., which was my only i.d., with the exception of a ss card. I can't do much of anything right now. I can't prove I'm me! :wall: So stay in touch every once in a while. You have my email right? And I might just deliver them UPRyan. :p