Battling mold.

Tburtmcsquirt

Arachnopeon
So the tank I'm using has a mold that I can't get rid of. I have to re clean the entire tank. I know I'm going to piss off my spider but she needs a healthy environment. I will have to destroy all her webbing and I hope that's not an awful thing to do to her. I got caught up with the tank humidity as a beginner and I made a few other mistakes. Is all this ok? Will she be super pissed, or just get back in there and make a new web? Any advice on this will be greatly appreciated. She's an avicularia versicolor.

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
We all rehouse our spiders from time to time, so that´s not a problem. With proper ventilation (which you should have for an "avic"), there should be no issues with mould.

Tburtmcsquirt

Arachnopeon
Thanks! I'm relatively new to all this but I've got a lot of it down. Just minor fixes to make now. I've added a fan to circulate some air. I read another thread on here saying to let the mold run its course? Some say it bothers them, others say it doesn't. I thought she left her web due to mold but she may actually be molting. I just want to make sure I'm never causing any harm I want happy T's!

TownesVanZandt

Arachnoprince
IME mould does not affect the spiders in any way (unless you have crazy amounts of it). It´s not very aesthetically pleasing, though. I can´t see why you would need to have a fan to circulate the air. Do you happen to have a picture of your enclosure? Also, if your T is about to moult, you should wait with rehousing it.

Tburtmcsquirt

Arachnopeon
I'm keeping a close eye on her. Seemingly wet looking joints and a big bald abdomen. Also she's on the floor partially. She has a 25 gallon tank with screen lid. I found out screen is dangerous, and that a top opening cage with an arboreal won't mix well. So I took a 4 inch wide glass plate and put it over where she was webbing so if she attached to the top I could still remove the lid. I am working on building a new terrarium because this one is temporary. I had the tank, got giddy, got the first T I saw, went home and crammed as much info as possible, got the humidity scare, overdid it most likely, and that's how I got here. I added the fan just to help with circulation since the mold appeared. She was also taking some time making a web initially, 2 months I think, and I read to create a breeze in the room and it might encourage her to build shelter. Far fetched but worth a try. She had a web up 5 days later. Coincidence? Probably. But I'll keep the fan around just for that "rainforest" feel.

Mandiblehead

Arachnopeon
Unless theres stupid amunts of mold your probly fine, My scorp tanks when I first started with cocoa husk always had a bit at first. It dried out , keep some ventalation it needs to breathe, or sometimes mold starts to build up then it stops. I found the Chunky husk was worse for mold then the finer husk

Tburtmcsquirt

Arachnopeon
Awesome, it's not to bad in there, I just took care of everything (except her web) with a good spot clean a day or two ago. I thought she abandoned her web due to mold but I believe she will molt soon. It's 6:30 a.m. where I live and I've been up all night hoping to watch. Last time my avicularia molted I was cooking dinner for about an hour and a half and she was out. I think it was a bad molt because she was slightly dehydrated due to my beginners mistake. That also contributed to my over humidification of her tank. I was pretty freaked out and I didn't want to lose her or cause pain. BUT. I'll take a picture of her set up and the suspected mold and post it in the thread later today. If she molts I'll throw pictures of that up too. Thanks for the advice everyone!

cold blood

Staff member
All that cover n the ground either needs to go, or be elevated. A relatively clean floor makes for easy hunting. Floor cover shouldn't be used by an avic, feeders are the only thing that will use it, don't give feeders hiding opportunities. I'd also add something to climb on over on the other side, otherwise its just wasted space.....avics love elevated clutter.

In case I missed it, add a water dish.

Tburtmcsquirt

Arachnopeon
What's a good method to elevate everything? The plastic leaves have a suction cup. I have a water dish in there for her.

cold blood

Staff member
Be creative...some use glue, some use vines, some tangle it in the wood, I've even held things in place with twist ties, zip ties would probably be even more useful.

Just keep in mind, anything not secured can and probably will be moved.

Abyss

Arachnoknight
Be creative...some use glue, some use vines, some tangle it in the wood, I've even held things in place with twist ties, zip ties would probably be even more useful.

Just keep in mind, anything not secured can and probably will be moved.
Spot on, creativity is key!!!!!!
I use hot glue. Dries fast, no residue. Easy peasy