Battle of the Burrowers!

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Tonight is feeding night, the last feeding my T's will be getting until after I move.

I decide to feed my I. mira sling (named Lautrec) last, and find a nice fat mealworm to drop at the top of his burrow. With a nice open ring-side view of said burrow, I see my little guy immediately take interest, and the mealworm burrows down into the den. Thus ensues an epic battle.

It'd seem when choosing the prey item, I had overestimated dear Lautrec's size and strength, and the moment he sank his fangs into the behemoth in his home, the great beast began to twist to and fro, taking our poor unprepared warrior on a ride to give Little Yellow Jacket a run for his money.

Lautrec was given no mercy, violently throwing him round and round in his humble home, spun this way and that as the mealworm fought back. At this point I was genuinely afraid for my dear sling's life. To my astonishment Lautrec held on, not ready to give in, not in his house! But after another minute of the furious tug-o-war, the two finally separated, Lautrec needing a moment of respite from the thrashing he'd received. The mealworm, having taken more bites than a vampire's victim, began to drag itself off into the dark abyss of cocofiber. It looked that the battle was over, ending in a draw...

Until Lautrec, reinvigorated by a hunger for victory, grabs onto the very end of the mealworm and rips it from the solace of the substrate! Once again, a struggle commenced, but this time the mealworm was noticeably weaker, it's fight for freedom turning into a losing battle, until at last it surrendered to it's fate...

Enjoy your meal, Lautrec. It's been earned tenfold.

(And I'll certainly be more aware of they prey size from now on!)

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Nice one, Shakespeare :)

Be sure to crush the heads too next time. You really don't want a mealie burrowing in your T's enclosure. ;)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
Nice one, Shakespeare :)

Be sure to crush the heads too next time. You really don't want a mealie burrowing in your T's enclosure. ;)
If I'd have known that it was gonna be such a struggle for him to take it down, I certainly would have! I don't usually feed a lot of mealworms, and only to ones that I know will either take it or leave it so I can remove it if they decide they don't want to eat. Only reason I fed him a mealworm tonight was because I ran out of crickets.

I really need to start a dubia colony.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
I feed mealworms to my juvies regularly without issues really. I crush the heads, that's it. Especially after a molt when the abdomen is small I like to feed mealies or supers to get the spider back up to speed again :)

Arachnophoric

Arachnoangel
I feed mealworms to my juvies regularly without issues really. I crush the heads, that's it. Especially after a molt when the abdomen is small I like to feed mealies or supers to get the spider back up to speed again :)
You don't have issue with them after you crush the head? I crush the heads for my L. parahybana sling because it's a wuss and won't eat anything that moves. Do your Ts just scavenge the headless mealworms like my LP?

Blue Jaye

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
What a fun read !!! The struggle snuggle was quite intense for the little guy.:smug:

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
You don't have issue with them after you crush the head? I crush the heads for my L. parahybana sling because it's a wuss and won't eat anything that moves. Do your Ts just scavenge the headless mealworms like my LP?
Lol, there's a difference between crushing the heads and ripping them off entirely :D
My mealies still wriggle about enough for them to be noticed by the T.
The L.parahybana won't stay a wuss for long ;)