Bath time, child hanging out with snake buddy (pic)

gunslinger

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Holy moly................ I dont even know what to say to that....make sure you get behind the ears maybe?

LeilaNami

Arachnoking
Old Timer
can we say potential food item? (that is if the snake was a bit bigger)

Midnightrdr456

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
there isnt really a question about the snake being bigger, if it really wanted to it could eat that child easily.

jr47

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
no way would i let that near a child. nice snake though.

beetleman

Arachnoking
Old Timer
{D boy it's amazing what little kids will bring home after playing in the jungle:clap:

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Was that a burm or a retic? Burms once properly socialized are very easying going, and some "seem" to enjoy human contant. I have read an account where a burm would like to going swimming with its owner. Kinda odd but the larger pythons are much more aware and can tune on individuals much betters than their smaller cousins.

P. Novak

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Oh hey guys, I'm glad you like the way I bathe my kids. {D It actually gets them cleaner then bathing alone. Very effective.

Ha, only joking... that's nuts. I am also pretty sure its a reticulated python.

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Oh hey guys, I'm glad you like the way I bathe my kids. {D It actually gets them cleaner then bathing alone. Very effective.

Ha, only joking... that's nuts. I am also pretty sure its a reticulated python.

Yep, that's a Retic, and it could definately eat that toddler if it wanted to. I would bet that this photo was taken in Thailand, since the "silver-head" Retics are common there, and for years, when they were available as imports, the Thai Retics had a reputation for being rather good-tempered compared to most import Retics.

I have a photo in a National Geographic magazine from a few years ago of an elderly man and his four-year-old grandson riding on a Moped with their pet King Cobra wrapped around them both, like someone would ride with the family dog in the car. The kid is holding the Cobra's head cradled in his lap, and the snake is in really good condition, just like this Retic, so it's not a snake that's been mutilated to keep it from biting. It really is the family pet. In another "Nat. Geo" tv special, there was another Thai family who kept a King Cobra in their house and yard, and it had free run (or would that be "free CRAWL"?)of the whole place. The kids collected wild Ratsnakes in the forest to feed it. The snake would allow itself to be free-handled by anyone in the family, but it hooded up and threatened the cameraman, obviously knowing the difference between this stranger and the family members. The family also had one of those Dingo-like pariah dogs that are so common in Asian countries, and the snake totally dominated the dog. It would take over the dog's choice sleeping spot by simply crawling up and raising up a bit, staring the dog in the face, and the dog would submissively get up and leave, letting the snake have its sleeping place(smart dog).

pitbulllady

Tleilaxu

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
^ I saw that show too LOL. The smallest kid just went and picked up that snake that was at least twice his size and just let the kid drag him off somewhere LOL. I want a snake with that kinda demeanor.

syndicate

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Yep, that's a Retic, and it could definately eat that toddler if it wanted to. I would bet that this photo was taken in Thailand, since the "silver-head" Retics are common there, and for years, when they were available as imports, the Thai Retics had a reputation for being rather good-tempered compared to most import Retics.

I have a photo in a National Geographic magazine from a few years ago of an elderly man and his four-year-old grandson riding on a Moped with their pet King Cobra wrapped around them both, like someone would ride with the family dog in the car. The kid is holding the Cobra's head cradled in his lap, and the snake is in really good condition, just like this Retic, so it's not a snake that's been mutilated to keep it from biting. It really is the family pet. In another "Nat. Geo" tv special, there was another Thai family who kept a King Cobra in their house and yard, and it had free run (or would that be "free CRAWL"?)of the whole place. The kids collected wild Ratsnakes in the forest to feed it. The snake would allow itself to be free-handled by anyone in the family, but it hooded up and threatened the cameraman, obviously knowing the difference between this stranger and the family members. The family also had one of those Dingo-like pariah dogs that are so common in Asian countries, and the snake totally dominated the dog. It would take over the dog's choice sleeping spot by simply crawling up and raising up a bit, staring the dog in the face, and the dog would submissively get up and leave, letting the snake have its sleeping place(smart dog).

pitbulllady
wow thats crazy!i didnt know snakes were so intelligent

pitbulllady

Arachnoking
Old Timer
wow thats crazy!i didnt know snakes were so intelligent
King Cobras are known to be the most intelligent of all snakes, although I've had Common Boas and Ball Pythons that knew the difference between a familiar person, and a stranger, and would react differently to being handled by each, even if the stranger was a snake owner themselves and very comfortable around snakes, as opposed to someone who was nervous or apprehensive about holding one. I "babysat" a Ball Python for a guy who was in the process of building his own house, and having to stay with his snake-hating parents in the meantime. This snake was a typical Ball Python around men, even strangers, and would allow itself to be handled by them. With women, though, this thing was a total misogynist-it would viciously strike repeatedly at any woman who got within range, and would actually make short "charges" at me when I did manage to hook it out of its cage! I've never dealt with any venomous snake that was as nasty and as determined to bite me as this snake, and the owner said it was like that with all women-AFTER I'd agreed to keep it until he could move in his new house, of course! There's no doubt in my mind that this snake recognized male vs. female humans, and responded differently to each.

pitbulllady