bark scorpions

creaturefiend66

Arachnopeon
just looking for info and general advice for genus Centruroides. most likely scupturatus and vittatus.

thanks

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Hello creaturefiend and welcome to the board. :) We have c. sculpts running around all over the place here. They are easy to care for. Put in some substrate, things for them to crawl on and hide under, a small water dish...throw in some crickets once in awhile and you are good to go. Remember they are from a dry climate so you don't want a humid enclosure. And remember to keep a good lid on the enclosure. They are like Houdini when it comes to climbing and escaping and you really don't want to get stung by one.

creaturefiend66

Arachnopeon
thanks kathy im actually not new to the board just changed my name been on since 05 i think but what about heat

insect714

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
One of the ways that you can get the info for a set-up is to look at the weather & temp of the natural habitat. If you are collecting them yourself takes pics of the habitat so you have visual reference for later. And then you will also know the area monitor the local weather/temps. That is what I did with my C.vittatus that was WC this past summer in Oklahoma. I did also come home today to find she had finally popped and I now have 30+ lil scorplings clinging to momma...

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
As far as how hot....well, they live year round here in Phoenix and they are out there in 30 degree nights in winter and 115 degree summers. Whatever you keep your household temp at would be fine. They are pretty indestructible. What was your name before?

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
C. Sculpturatus is one of the easiest to care for. They don't really need heat, they will eat anything, roaches, crickets, large ants and spiders that you find around the house, they are easy to breed and very inexpensive to keep. I love my C. Sculpts even though I NEVER touch them. They hurt like heck when they sting you.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i'd love to get me a hive going. theyre so difficult to come by in ohio, vendors or otherwise.

cannabeast

Arachnosquire
buy them on here >_< i recently posted that i bought some, now they're in little deli cups with sand and sticks almost up in the arctic circle. they should really not be hard to find around here. kathy seems to have a few wild caught specimens :D

i'd love to get me a hive going. theyre so difficult to come by in ohio, vendors or otherwise.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
cannabeast, unfortunately I'm just not finding many this summer right around my house. Good for me though. :) But you can get them pretty cheap on here if you look around! Or talk to purpleorange, he finds a lot - or use to.

gromgrom

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
cannabeast, unfortunately I'm just not finding many this summer right around my house. Good for me though. :) But you can get them pretty cheap on here if you look around! Or talk to purpleorange, he finds a lot - or use to.
i think he got told off by the admins or someone for poaching animals. i got a bunch of v. spinigerus from him for VERY cheap. i wish he was still around...

more_rayne

Arachnopeon
i think he got told off by the admins or someone for poaching animals. i got a bunch of v. spinigerus from him for VERY cheap. i wish he was still around...
Interesting, didn't know that. I too got spinigerus and sculpturatus from him for an excellent price. If ya got bugs invading your home, catch em and sell em cheap to others that would love to have one.

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
He is still an active member from what I gather......maybe he graduated from high school and moved on.

DireWolf0384

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Could it be related to the heat? Its been VERY hot here in MI even. 90s and up. Or maybe you just devastated the local population to satisfy the forums hunger for C. Sculpts. lol

Kathy

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Can they climb plastic, glass or smooth surfaces?
If it is clean, no.....but if you spray water on it and sediment builds up or you get little dust particles on the glass, they can gain a footing. You would be amazed. They can also grab the caulking in the corners. I would most certainly keep a sealed lid on the top so they can't get out. I had one once in a totally clean glass jar sitting in my garage, and about a week later it was gone - It had to have been from dust/dirt particles that accumulated, I don't know how else it would have gotten out.