bark bit substrate. Good or bad ?

kush

Arachnopeon
i have been using zoomeds bark bits as a substrate for my rose hair and she seems to like it better then the peat moss i had in there a week ago.i was just wondering if anybody uses bark bits and what are the pros and cons of this substrate because im thinking about using this as a permament substrate for her.i also understand that most ppl might say it will hurt her but she not an aboreal and she never climbs anything so that danger is not a concern,she wont fall.plus there not sharp or rough at all.

AbraCadaver

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
<EDIT>
Some terrestrials do climb from time to time, so that's not a valid point. And she might climb while you're not around. You can never say never.

Also, even if they aren't sharp or rough to your touch, it might still hurt her, and especially after a molt when she's more fragile.

The reason for her being more ok with them might simply be because they are dryer than your previous substrate. Also, as I have told you before, spiders don't like anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leviticus

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
+1

I have found my G. rosea literally hanging upside down from the top of the screen cover on her cage, anything not soft and "cushy" could be detrimental.

bobusboy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
<EDIT>

+1

I have found my G. rosea literally hanging upside down from the top of the screen cover on her cage, anything not soft and "cushy" could be detrimental.
+1 I'd have to agree, eco-earth and peat moss are excellent substrates and the latter holds moisture well.

Some people vouch for a mix of the two but straight eco-earth (coconut coir) works perfectly for all my Ts and its "soft" enough to protect them in a fall.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I use a small bit of vermiculite at the bottom on the enclosure then pure peat moss the rest of the way. In my experience peat moss is far less prone to mold than coco. When I did use coco I had way to many molding issues.

Great Basin Ben

Arachnosquire
<EDIT>

I think we can all agree, LOSE the bark, go to either Co-co coir, or Peat (or a mix mix of the 2), and fill the enclosure to within 1 1/2 body lengths of the spider to the top of the container... If it falls on that, it will not be as likely to get hurt. If it begins to burrow, it will be able to. And if it is upset about being on bark, and in the corner of the glass the whole time, maybe it will "settle In" how it should, and be a happy spider from there.

<EDIT>

tarantulagirl10

Arachnobaron
I did read a few weeks ago where you had her on sand. Now you say last week you had her on peat, now you have her on wood chips. May I ask why you keep changing her substrate?

kush

Arachnopeon
first i had peat moss.then i made half of the tank moss the other half sand.i found out that sand was bad so i took it out and rinsed the peat moss off because sand mixed with it.i guess it was too wet,even though i dried it pretty good because she stood on top of the log cave.so then i got bark bits and it seems to be the best one,im gonna keep it for another week because im planing on buying two new ten gal tanks. Im gonna get a new t plus fix a great home for my rose hair.

losct2381

Arachnosquire
Ur gonna stress her to death. Stop changing the substrate coco fiber and leave her alone.

Kugellager

ArachnoJester of the Ancient Ones
Arachnosupporter
Admin Note

If flaming/fanning flames etc. in this thread re-appear all involved will be spanked and the thread closed.:embarrassed:

Thanks,

God
(...or Santa Claus...Your Choice)
];')