"Banded Millipede" Open Top Enclosure

Orchidist

Arachnopeon
I think millipedes are the most adorable of the bugs out there (next to jumping spiders) and they aren't usually available in my area. My local reptile store got some in the other day and I decided to try one. They were labeled as merely "banded millipedes" but they don't look like any sort of banded millipede online. This is the setup I made for it. I'll be getting more later for aesthetic value or I may just reserve it for a terrestrial tarantula that can't climb plastic.
IMG_2091.JPG IMG_2093.JPG

Last edited:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I think millipedes are the most adorable of the bugs out there (next to jumping spiders) and they aren't usually available in my area. My local reptile store got some in the other day and I decided to try one. They were labeled as merely "banded millipedes" but they don't look like any sort of banded millipede online. This is the setup I made for it. I'll be getting more later for aesthetic value or I may just reserve it for a terrestrial tarantula that can't climb plastic.

I don't know whether it's a glitch on my end, but I cannot see the image(s). @Cavedweller has posted a helpful guide to millipede care that will probably work well for your species. What type of substrate are you using? You will probably need to cover the enclosure to keep in moisture. Based on the name, I'm guessing that you have a black-and-yellow bumblebee millipede (Anadenobolus monilicornis) but other species could certainly go by that name. If you would post a photo of the millipede, we can probably identify it and give more specific care instructions, if necessary. :)

Btw, there are some lovely millipedes in southern California, including species of Hiltonius, Tylobolus, Paeromopus and Atopetholidae! :happy:

Orchidist

Arachnopeon
ok i think the pictures should work now. I did some thorough searching and think that this is a Sonoran Desert Millipede. Not exactly great for a habitat set up for a more humid liking terrestrial species. Now that I think of it though, this could mean that this guy could tolerate more extreme conditions and the open top might be able to offset the humidity from the mix of coir and vermiculite I'm using. He seems to like the indian almond leaf litter.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
I believe that you are correct! It certainly looks to me like one of the color variants of Orthoporus ornatus. See @Mastigoproctus's advice on their care. Humidity but with good ventilation is a must for this species, but I would still recommend some sort of cover to prevent escape as this species does like to climb and it may well be able to climb those plants and leave its enclosure. Other than that, I think your set-up is fine. I don't know whether or not the plants will do well, but I generally do not do well with plants in any case. :( The one plant that has survived in my O. ornatus enclosure is a sort of weed cactus that can grow a whole plant from any piece -- the hydra cactus, lol!

Orchidist

Arachnopeon
Don't worry the plants should do fine. Parlor palm and pothos are jokes compared to the 100 orchids I care for :p.

Orchidist

Arachnopeon
not my B smithii apparently. idk though so I'll wait until it decides to climb out of its cup. I have that in an open betta container without problems.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
all tarantulas can climb plastic.
But I have yet to see a millipede do so! :p (Although they can stretch themselves up a long way and if they get a few legs over the top...)

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
not my B smithii apparently. idk though so I'll wait until it decides to climb out of its cup. I have that in an open betta container without problems.
are you joking?? they can pretty much climb anything, leave the lid off, and you will 100% lose that spider. wait, you own a P regalis and you think tarantulas cant climb plastic??

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
No! You might not find it when it does so! :eek: Yes, many species that CAN climb may choose not to... until they decide to do so and all it takes is once and then they are lost. I don't mean to be critical but I would strongly encourage you not to take that risk!

Orchidist

Arachnopeon
are you joking?? they can pretty much climb anything, leave the lid off, and you will 100% lose that spider.
well maybe the adults could but I have seen my little guy try to climb the enclosure once because he got scared by a dubia roach and he couldn't climb it. I'll cover it with mesh just in case then.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
well maybe the adults could but I have seen my little guy try to climb the enclosure once because he got scared by a dubia roach and he couldn't climb it. I'll cover it with mesh just in case then.
unless you are watching 24/7 you can not be sure its not going to climb. sometimes, a tarantula is only not able to climb a smooth surface when it is in heavy premolt. but after the molt they can climb whatever they want. just put the lid on, tarantulas can get their tarsal claws stuck in mesh and dangle and lose legs.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
Glad you're going to cover the T (and I would recommend doing so for the millipede as well)! Every tarantula I've had -- including B. smithi and B. albopilosum slings -- can climb glass and plastic and everything else with ease.

Orchidist

Arachnopeon
unless you are watching 24/7 you can not be sure its not going to climb. sometimes, a tarantula is only not able to climb a smooth surface when it is in heavy premolt. but after the molt they can climb whatever they want. just put the lid on, tarantulas can get their tarsal claws stuck in mesh and dangle and lose legs.
so mesh isn't ideal? I guess I'll have to use something else then. I lost the lid a long time ago. lol

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
so mesh isn't ideal? I guess I'll have to use something else then. I lost the lid a long time ago. lol
how big is it? if its small, use a deli cup. you should have done alot more research if you think Ts cant climb plastic..:meh:

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
@Venom1080, do you think mesh would be bad for a sling as well? I would imagine it primarily a problem for larger tarantulas/adults but Idk.

But I do agree that deli cups are best.

I was just relieved for ANY lid to be in place! :anxious:

Orchidist

Arachnopeon
how big is it? if its small, use a deli cup. you should have done alot more research if you think Ts cant climb plastic..:meh:
The total length of the sling from head to tip of abdomen is around 3/4 of an inch. The enclosure is filled halfway up with the coir and vermiculite mixture I used for the millipede. The T climbing plastic assumption was more of an experience thing. One day I was too busy and forgot to cover the mesh for her cup and kept forgetting from that day. This was a month and a half ago and still it has remained content in its little premade burrow. Maybe I'm just stupid for leaving the cup open for that long. :meh:

BobBarley

Arachnoprince
The total length of the sling from head to tip of abdomen is around 3/4 of an inch. The enclosure is filled halfway up with the coir and vermiculite mixture I used for the millipede. The T climbing plastic assumption was more of an experience thing. One day I was too busy and forgot to cover the mesh for her cup and kept forgetting from that day. This was a month and a half ago and still it has remained content in its little premade burrow. Maybe I'm just stupid for leaving the cup open for that long.
You're not stupid, just misinformed/haven't come across that in your research. The t WILL climb out, it's just a matter of WHEN it'll climb out. You're very lucky it hasn't yet.

ErinM31

Arachnogoddess
Arachnosupporter
The total length of the sling from head to tip of abdomen is around 3/4 of an inch. The enclosure is filled halfway up with the coir and vermiculite mixture I used for the millipede. The T climbing plastic assumption was more of an experience thing. One day I was too busy and forgot to cover the mesh for her cup and kept forgetting from that day. This was a month and a half ago and still it has remained content in its little premade burrow. Maybe I'm just stupid for leaving the cup open for that long. :meh:
I'm sure they are far less likely to once they've settled in and will feel safest in their burrow but they do go exploring at times and that could well include leaving their enclosure. As @BobBarley said, it's just a matter of when, so you are lucky to not find out from experience! And everyone makes mistakes, especially in the beginning. We can only do our best to learn and prevent mistakes and learn from those we make anyway and be grateful when no loss is suffered!

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
when a tarantula is secure in its burrow, it will rarely leave. but it will eventually, looking for water or food. if it decides to look around and climb a wall it will escape. the fact it has not done so in a month and a half is dumb luck.