Banana slug care

hecklad

Arachnosquire
I am interested in getting some and making an attempt at a colony. How does one care for them? How much space is needed?

Poonjab

Arachnoking
Look up environment. Mimic. Give them at least 10 gallon tank.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Ariolimax have a poor record in captivity as they seem to need a consistent, cool (50-60F) temperature, which is usually unattainable without a wine fridge. I have a friend who is working with them currently, let me see what he says (or I'll tag him on here as soon I find his username...).

Thanks,

Arthroverts

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
as they seem to need a consistent, cool (50-60F) temperature

^^ This. They will slowly perish at temperatures above 60ish. I've not had success keeping them in any kind of temperature above that for prolonged periods of time, they just stop eating, shrink up, and die.

The Snark

Dumpster Fire of the Gods
Old Timer
You can contact Humboldt State University for info as they have extensively studied them and their native habitat. In addition to cool temperatures they require high to very high humidity during part of their lives.
And from personal observation they are quite partial to a diet of cat poop.

hecklad

Arachnosquire
Unfortunately sounds like it will be best to pass on them for the time being until I can get a cooler/fridge.

MasterOogway

Arachnoknight
diet of cat poop
Interesting you've noticed this, although I don't think they seem to be limited to cat poop. I find surprising amounts of them on piles of bear scat at the zoo I work at, which I always found odd.

The Snark

Old Timer
Interesting you've noticed this
Sort of hard to miss it. My job was emptying the cat potty every AM. Out where I dumped it the slugs would have cleared away yesterdays offerings and cruising around waiting for breakfast. I don't know what their normal diet consists of but omniverous detrivores going for the most concentrated organic materials seems pretty logical.

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Though i've read the accounts of how banana slugs do poorly in captivity due to excessive heat, I also know of people who have kept/keep the California species without any sort of cooling device and without problems. I know someone who currently has several california banana slugs doing well at room temperatues in the low 70's. Though all banana slugs come from relatively cool montane habitats and escape summer heat by going underground, for that reason I suspect that banana slugs from populations in warmer climates are hardier and worth looking into.

The Snark

Old Timer
Well, if anyone gains any traction on keeping these beasts it would be nice to read about it. I've met several people that do keep them, all up on the north coast in the fog belt, but never asked about how to keep them and their environment tolerances.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Though i've read the accounts of how banana slugs do poorly in captivity due to excessive heat, I also know of people who have kept/keep the California species without any sort of cooling device and without problems. I know someone who currently has several california banana slugs doing well at room temperatues in the low 70's. Though all banana slugs come from relatively cool montane habitats and escape summer heat by going underground, for that reason I suspect that banana slugs from populations in warmer climates are hardier and worth looking into.
Where in California? There are specimens in the Palomar Mountain I believe which might do better at human room temperature.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

Salmonsaladsandwich

Arachnolord
Where in California? There are specimens in the Palomar Mountain I believe which might do better at human room temperature.

Thanks,

Arthroverts
I'm not sure but I don't think they're from Palomar Mountain though that does seem to be the southernmost extent of their range.

Arthroverts

Arachnoking
Just checked, Palomar Mountain and the surrounding area is the only known locale in Southern California of an apparent undescribed Ariolimax species.

Thanks,

Arthroverts

hecklad

Arachnosquire
Do you know that person is still having success with them?

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There's huge banana slugs around here. Next time I see one imma get some pics. I'll be sure to use a banana for scale.

BCscorp

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am interested in getting some and making an attempt at a colony. How does one care for them? How much space is needed?
Just curious, why are you interested in keeping slugs? I've never considered it as an option in life, thus... my question.

The Snark

Old Timer
👍Detritivores.
Poopiphores. There is some sort of symbiosis going on here. A fungus or several fungi aid the slug, apparently operating internally. Much more complex than first glance.