Bamboo?

Lunar

Arachnopeon
It's not harmful for a T is it? I don't see why it would be, just wanted to be safe than sorry.

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
I have read some article a long time ago that bamboos are ideal for algae and fungus growth. I did use bamboo for my Poecilotheria ornata a long time ago and did not have problems with it. In fact, I think she liked the idea.
She would hide during the day and would come out and hang out of the bamboo early in the morning.

Kindly correct me if i'm wrong, but I think, as long as the bamboo is completely dried, it would be ok to use. The bamboo that I used has been cut a long time ago and has dried out. In my opinion, I think the freshly cut ones would pose some concerns to the keeper. Good luck!

Lunar

Arachnopeon
I was planning on baking it in the oven. I just thought it would be a really great hides for pokies.

Anastasia

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was planning on baking it in the oven. I just thought it would be a really great hides for pokies.
Lunar,
dont bake anything in the oven unless its chicken or cake ;)
wash with little bit of dish soap and rinse with plenty of water,
if really worry, do 5% bleach solution and dunk in it, then rinse it well
I just like to point, that hollow bamboo maybe a bad thing
few times I had to rescue spiders that squeezed themselves in real tight spot to molt, then ooops..., not enough room, If I happened to didnt see, would be dead spider that stuck in molt
Just giving you heads up ;)
Anastasia

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
I agree, they're fantastic hides for pokies. My pokie loved it.
I think a better alternative too would be plastic PVC pipes :? Not sure though if it would be detrimental to the T's health, but since it's made of plastic and vinyl, I suppose it's not.

Lunar

Arachnopeon
PVC pipes would be awesome, have you ever taken a blowtorch to some and burnt them to make them look like logs or something? I think...they have a tutorial of it on "cutegayjasons" youtube page. It's meant for green tree pythons but can be used for T's too I'm sure, just fit them in the cage or glue them together to where the T can hide behind it, or get a big PVC pipe and for the pokie to hide in?

Sarcastro

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Bamboo isn't the greatest to use in a enclosure with a species that needs any high humidity lvls..it has a tendency to mold and grow fungus due to its high water absorbing capability..I've used it once and haven't used it since because of molding.

Lunar

Arachnopeon
Bamboo isn't the greatest to use in a enclosure with a species that needs any high humidity lvls..it has a tendency to mold and grow fungus due to its high water absorbing capability..I've used it once and haven't used it since because of molding.
After hearing that a few times, I think I will just stick to burt PVC piping.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Cork works quite well in moister enclosures. You can get whole tubes in any size, flat panels, curved assorted chunks... I use it in most of my moist enclosures, grapewood for the dryer ones.

Lunar

Arachnopeon
Cork works quite well in moister enclosures. You can get whole tubes in any size, flat panels, curved assorted chunks... I use it in most of my moist enclosures, grapewood for the dryer ones.

Where can you get it? My local pet store charges ungodly amounts for it.

Moltar

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I usually buy mine in bigger batches when reptile expo's come around. It's a lot cheaper that way. You can also get batches online for a lot cheaper. You're right it is expensive as heck in the pet stores. Perhaps you can offset the cost by going low-budget on other aspects of the install. WalMart has lots of possibilities costing far less than small aquariums or exo-terras.

sharpfang

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well Summed up Moltar

I do however use fencing made of Bamboo reeds tied together,

for Back-grounds in tall hexagon cages......cost is nothing if you garden :D

does Not seem to Mold much {cleaned every 4-5 months}.......But the Bamboo I cut down in yard then use...

...has been problematic w/ high-moisture cages.

I myself, like PVC for little containers, w/ "Burrowers".....so that I may see them below :)

One guy on AB showed Pic of Black PVC, blended well in Vivarium! - Jason

Kamikaze

@baboonmanila
Old Timer
I too, agree that cork bark is better than bamboo.
I have been using it for quite sometime. Though as good as it may sound, it is not mold proof. I had molds growing from my cork bark too.

MIC

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Lunar,
dont bake anything in the oven unless its chicken or cake ;)
wash with little bit of dish soap and rinse with plenty of water,
if really worry, do 5% bleach solution and dunk in it, then rinse it well
I just like to point, that hollow bamboo maybe a bad thing
few times I had to rescue spiders that squeezed themselves in real tight spot to molt, then ooops..., not enough room, If I happened to didnt see, would be dead spider that stuck in molt
Just giving you heads up ;)
Anastasia
I'll be grateful to you Anastasia, if you can give me an explanation why we have to avoid the oven for sterilization end desiccation purposes.

I agree with the risk coming from the bamboo but, I think that if we slice the cane lengthwise giving the possibility to manually close and open it, we can avoid such a risk.

jebbewocky

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I'll be grateful to you Anastasia, if you can give me an explanation why we have to avoid the oven for sterilization end desiccation purposes.

I agree with the risk coming from the bamboo but, I think that if we slice the cane lengthwise giving the possibility to manually close and open it, we can avoid such a risk.
It smells bad, and killing the germs already on it just gives room for other bacteria to grow there unless you also remove the nutrients.
Best guess.