Bald Spot or Potential Killer?

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
Hey guys. So my lovely Rosalita (a Brachypelma Boehmei) recently acquired some sort of spot. It doesn't look like your typical bald spot, but it very well could be. Please help me out, and let me know if it looks like something really serious from the pictures posted. Sorry the pictures aren't of the best quality.

Bald Rosa1.jpg

Bald Rosa2.jpg

Bald Rosa5.jpg

Blaze

Arachnopeon
give it time, if its showing signs of illness, put her in an ICU. otherwise, let nature take its course

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
Hmmm. it looks like her abdomen has been damaged. I'm thinking mites could be your problem.

Colbymgeek

Arachnosquire
No, I haven't noticed her kicking any hairs. The spot showed up somewhat suddenly, and this girl has a history of climbing onto the ceiling of her cage, which wouldbe a very threatening drop.
Where do you take a sick tarantula? If she does show signs of being ill, I mean.

---------- Post added at 11:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:05 PM ----------

Hmmm. it looks like her abdomen has been damaged. I'm thinking mites could be your problem.
How do you get rid of mites?

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
Well first make sure it is mites. You can usually tell by white little specks on your T or on the substrate. I can't really give you advice on this because I have never had this problem yet. But if it is mites there are plenty of people on these forums that can help you.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Mites are almost NEVER a problem, sure they show up, but except those who actually feed on the tarantula, they're no worse than dust.

We need better pictures to see if it is a falling damage, hit the search and check out "ulcer" or "blister". If those things look the same, it's an issue. If not, then it's just flicking a lot.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
To prevent the critter from dropping, add more soil to the container... so she cant climb more then 1 1/2 boehmeis... :)

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Bald spot

I have several Brachy's and my money goes with she/he has been kicking hairs. Mites would be noticable. Injury? would be able to see fluid loss or at least scab. No need for an ICU your T is just being a T Brachys love to kick hairs ( Many people itch like crazy from them ).

Formerphobe

Arachnoking
Old Timer
The patch doesn't look like classic hair kicking to me. Too irregular. But, better pictures would help.

If a fall from her ceiling would be 'threatening', then she has too much space. Terrestrials should be able to 'step down' from their ceilings. Then one has to wonder why she is on the ceiling at all. Is there something about her substrate that doesn't suit her?

Where do you take a sick tarantula?
Well, veterinarians who treat tarantulas are so few and far between as to be practically non-existent. Even the ones who are T savvy, may refer you to more knowledgeable hobbyists. You come here, and to other T forums and go with the recommendations of the individuals who have been T keeping the longest with the greatest success.

For some injuries or lesions, it is suggested to 'powerfeed' for a bit to push them to their next molt. Others, it may be best to under feed to allow the most development of the new exoskeleton beneath the compromised area.

Better pics would help.

fartkowski

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
I would need to see some clearer pictures to be sure, but to me it looks like it's just been kicking hairs.
I really doubt it would be mites. They generally gather around the chelicerae.
Although I'm not 100%, I have never seen mites cause problems on the abdomen.

shanebp

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Hmm, i'd have to go with kicking hairs, although I do agree that it is a somewhat irregular shape. Definitely not mites as someone else suggested though..

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
Idk.. It may not be mites it was a suggestion though... It just looks to odd for a fall damage because it looks like a scrape on its abdomen that hasn't gone all the way through.

kean

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
i think it's just a lot of hair kicking.. I've seen a Nhandu vulpinus with almost the same depth of what's in the picture on its abdomen.. due to hair kicking.. the only difference is it is on the sides of the vulpinus.

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
Do they really kick up so much hair were it starts tearing into their abdomen?

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Do they really kick up so much hair were it starts tearing into their abdomen?
This T does not have a tear in it's abdomen. They flick hairs, when they continue to flick hairs it creates a bald spot. Let's do a little research here, the sky is not falling.

esotericman

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Actually, they can kick enough to do damage, there was just a post on this last week:

http://www.arachnoboards.com/ab/showthread.php?t=205269

I have seen, in premolt, rafts of "hairs" coming off in clumps. If nothing else is noticed, and the spot turns black in a month or so, you have your answer.

I did not mean to insult anyone over the mites, it is just that they're blamed for a lot and very rarely are an issue. Nearly all of them are just tiny garbage men, cleaning up here and there.

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
This T does not have a tear in it's abdomen. They flick hairs, when they continue to flick hairs it creates a bald spot. Let's do a little research here, the sky is not falling.

I'm just saying it seems as if it is damaged. It looks like the wound is about 1cm into the abdomen. I wasn't meaning no harm I just didn't think that they could rub hairs so bad that it starts digging down.

Newflvr

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I'm just saying it seems as if it is damaged. It looks like the wound is about 1cm into the abdomen. I wasn't meaning no harm I just didn't think that they could rub hairs so bad that it starts digging down.
I'm sorry that I question your vast experience, the T is losing hair think of the pinkish part as it's scalp. When the T molts it will be as if it went to the hair club for men all new and full. Let's not complicate this the T is fine just flicking hairs.

Mammothdog

Arachnopeon
I'm sorry that I question your vast experience, the T is losing hair think of the pinkish part as it's scalp. When the T molts it will be as if it went to the hair club for men all new and full. Let's not complicate this the T is fine just flicking hairs.
When did I even say I had vast experience I was posting my opinion. I was just sharing my opinion on the matter.