Bag Transfer Technique: How To Transfer Your Tarantulas

mholmgree

Arachnopeon
Ok, id like to see someone do this with a ten gallon tank, theraphosa species. If you don't know how to manage your T's, what happens if something goes wrong, and your first time actually having contact, is an emergancy where your panicking, rather then already being prepared and knowing how to handle your pet.
I could be wrong but, if you're already going to all the trouble of trying the bag method, I would assume that you'd have a back up plan in case something goes wrong.

no way is fool proof, but being prepared for anything unexpected can usually make it a simple process...

Tman86

Arachnosquire
I would assume that you'd have a back up plan in case something goes wrong.

no way is fool proof, but being prepared for anything unexpected can usually make it a simple process...
Back up plan would be a catch cup most likely lol

freedumbdclxvi

Arachnoprince
For those who think this method is goofy, try rehousing a huntsman with forceps and a deli cup. It's like catching a fly with chopsticks :mad:
Done it. Catch cup and tongs are all I use, be it Poeci, Heteropoda or Phoneutria.

---------- Post added 01-28-2014 at 11:00 PM ----------

Agreed.
Because someone goes along with caution, it's assumed they can't handle it. I'm sorry, but some of these comments are plain ridiculous. I'm not necessarily "scared" of my t's, but I'd rather be sure nothing happens to me or them...
It seems some people here would prefer to have some new t owner be some fearless idiot and not try to be safe and get bit, or worse, just to live up to some macho standard of "I'm not scared, I'll just scoot it out with my paintbrush"...

I personally just move the entire juvie containers into their adult "forever" homes. I leave my t's be. The less contact I have with them the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Rant done...
All I use are tongs and a catch cup. It has nothing to do with being "macho" or any point proving. It has to do with the fact that I feel I have far more control of the situation with these items, and I am minimizing the risk to my spiders and myself.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Houston we have a problem! The bag method. Wow! I can't believe people actually do this. Oh well!

Jose
There are many people who like to minimize the chance of getting bitten and having a T escape, potentially get hurt or worse die. People use bags to transfer snakes, why not Ts? It's another method/tool, just like tongs and catch cups etc :D

I use it for some Ts, I tell you, it's far easier when I (key word, I) transfer my Blue Fang using that method than using a cup. He goes in a bag, he's never going to escape leaving or entering the homes during a rehouse. I can't say that for other methods.

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
There are many people who like to minimize the chance of getting bitten and having a T escape, potentially get hurt or worse die. People use bags to transfer snakes, why not Ts ? It's another method/tool, just like tongs and catch cups etc :D

I use it for some Ts, I tell you, it's far more easier when I transfer my Blue Fang using that method than using a cup. He goes in a bag, he's never going to escape leaving or entering the homes during a rehouse. I can't say that for other methods.
I'm sorry man but I find that method really funny. I can't and will not ever agree with that method. What's next the condom method?

Jose

---------- Post added 01-28-2014 at 09:51 PM ----------

There are many people who like to minimize the chance of getting bitten and having a T escape, potentially get hurt or worse die. People use bags to transfer snakes, why not Ts? It's another method/tool, just like tongs and catch cups etc :D

I use it for some Ts, I tell you, it's far easier when I (key word, I) transfer my Blue Fang using that method than using a cup. He goes in a bag, he's never going to escape leaving or entering the homes during a rehouse. I can't say that for other methods.
Sorry guys! Fangs and a bag not a good combination. I rather use a deli cup.

Jose

Last edited:

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I'm sorry man but I find that method really funny. I can't and will not ever agree with that method. What's next the condom method?

Jose
Oh it is funny! I will say this, all of the woman I have done it with, NW and OW, all react better (as determined by their movement) to it, than when I used more traditional methods. I actually thought some of them would flip out. They didn't, many of them, when they felt the bag all around them, like a web tube, were amazingly slow moving and just slowly creeped. I'd slightly push them through the bag like toothpaste sorta from behind, and they would just walk slowly into their new home. I had thought with all their setae coming into contact with something foreign they might lose it. Nope, not at all.

And just like the bag method, condoms minimize nasty things and mistakes from happening ;)

Exoskeleton Invertebrates

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Oh it is funny! I will say this, all of the woman I have done it with, NW and OW, all react better (as determined by their movement) to it, than when I used more traditional methods. I actually thought some of them would flip out. They didn't, many of them, when they felt the bag all around them, like a web tube, were amazingly slow moving and just slowly creeped. I'd slightly push them through the bag like toothpaste sorta from behind, and they would just walk slowly into their new home. I had thought with all their setae coming into contact with something foreign they might lose it. Nope, not at all.

And just like the bag method, condoms minimize nasty things and mistakes from happening ;)
Oh man! You got me there!

Jose

---------- Post added 01-28-2014 at 10:16 PM ----------

It's really quite easy and safe as the spider has virtually no chance of escaping when performed properly. I made this video demonstration transferring my OBT as testimony.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2ydhnjqs4iaryw/obt transfer.wmv
If it works for you and everyone else great! For me no way!

Jose

Introvertebrate

Arachnoprince
Arachnosupporter
Love her accent. In reference to the OBT transfer, the whole 'before' enclosure fit inside the 'after' enclosure. She could have just closed the lid and left the T alone overnight. I'll bet you it would have crawled out on its own eventually.

fyic

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
In reference to the OBT transfer, the whole 'before' enclosure fit inside the 'after' enclosure. She could have just closed the lid and left the T alone overnight. I'll bet you it would have crawled out on its own eventually.
I have done that many times my self lol...every now and then you get one that just will not leave lol

Keith B

Arachnobaron
The way my LP fought transfer at full size, it would've shredded the everlovin :poop: out of a bag. After that experience I'm sticking with deli cups lol.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
The way my LP fought transfer at full size, it would've shredded the everlovin :poop: out of a bag. After that experience I'm sticking with deli cups lol.
Stop using "girly" bags ! ;)

Keith B

Arachnobaron
haha yeah I used a pink tote ;) Nah, I've never used a bag, but I did put an aquarium net over him when he went up the wall after he was done pretending to be calm. Immediately did a flip and started tearing at the net with all legs and fangs. The net held up. Most plastic bags would cry in agony.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Yea it's for smaller Ts. Once I find a Kevlar bag that will take care of any large T :)

JonnyTorch

Arachnotwit
It's really quite easy and safe as the spider has virtually no chance of escaping when performed properly. I made this video demonstration transferring my OBT as testimony.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/g2ydhnjqs4iaryw/obt transfer.wmv
Thanks for this. Old thread but thanks for having the video still, a good visual, since the OP pictures are a broken image link..thanks for keeping it on Dropbox. I plan to do this with mine for my OW for now on. Thanks again

J