Bad timing for an escape!

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm moving across the country on Thursday so I have most of my stuff boxed up or at least piled up to be boxed. I figured before I leave I'd do a little trading. I have a friend who wanted one of my LP's (about 4 inches, I'd say maybe a bit more).

I put the tarantula in a plastic tupperware-like snap-lid container. The cheap kind---I think it's for Chinese food or something...I got it with the purchase of a recent tarantula acquisition. Anyway, what I didn't realize was that I had slightly damaged the lid when I opened it last and it didn't seal down very well.

You know where I'm going with this, our meeting got delayed and this afternoon when I went to check on it, the tarantula was nowhere to be found. It pushed the lid open and snuck out some time in the night or this morning.

I pretty much examined every square inch of the room, removing all the boxes and all my stuff and then putting them back. I've been at it all afternoon. I have checked adjacent rooms too. Unfortunately one of those is the kitchen and there are a million places it could hide away in there.

Ordinarily I wouldn't be stressed. It's not exactly a dangerous tarantula or a valuable one. Eventually it will turn up...or would if we were to stay here. After searching the house for several hours my wife has pretty much given up and just said "either we'll find it as we are hauling stuff out or it's gone forever." I guess she has a point...I'm not sure looking any more right now will help. I feel like I've checked everywhere.

The thing is, I'm worried about how this will turn out.

1. We have a bunch of friends coming to help us move out. Should I tell them there's a rogue tarantula loose and to keep their eyes peeled as they grab boxes? I think that would freak them out unnecessarily. But if someone does find it, they would freak and I would be a bad friend for not warning them.

2. What if we move out and somehow the tarantula remains in the apartment, later to be found by the next tenants? I don't want to give tarantula keepers a bad name. The neighbors and landlord know I keep tarantulas but I always assured them they are safely locked away, and they aren't dangerous anyway.

It's horrible timing to have my first escape. I won't be here to find it after Thursday. On the other hand, the fact that we are moving out makes it very likely that we will be able to catch the little stinker soon. Man I wish it was a big old 9 inch LP or something. These juveniles can hide away so well!

B8709

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Let them know before hand so they don't spoil their underwear. Hope you find it...If not then maybe it'll hide in a box and ride with you.

Crysta

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Hey there,
Sorry for the runner, try looking around at night with a flashlight and see if she's roaming about.

I'd tell your friends, because if you don't warn them they will freak out and probably kill the little guy, and you don't want that.

Maybe leave a note on the door before you leave 'possible tarantula escapee'...that way you don't need to face your landlord... hehe..

Crysta

neubii18

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
i recently had this experience,but it was with a 3"female heteroscodra maculata!i found her at night,scurrying around on the wall,so look at night with a red light.

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i recently had this experience,but it was with a 3"female heteroscodra maculata!i found her at night,scurrying around on the wall,so look at night with a red light.
Yeah that's actually why I don't keep any OW. As it is I don't mind letting my 18-month-old play around the house even though my LP is loose. If I knew there was an H mac scurrying around I might be more wary.

Ok, actually it's mostly my wife who feels that way, but I can't argue with the logic, and I don't want to have to sleep out on the couch with random tarantula escapees. {D

jesters22

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
wat i would do is look for it while you move, if you dont find it b4 ur all packed up and completely out of the house. then bomb the house. its not safe to just leave with that tarantula possibly still in the house for the next ppl to come.

mcluskyisms

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Its a nightmare when one gets out, my B.albopilosum has a knack for escaping or attempting to, one tip I read somewhere is to keep a saucer out with water in it in the middle of every room and on a night around 3-5am when T's tend to be more active you have a strong chance of finding them in a dish. Failing that your gonna have to tell whoever the apartment belongs to or the next tenants that there may be free pet that comes with the apartment.....

gvfarns

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Update: This morning my wife found it. Whew. Just in the nick of time.

It was in the furnace room, hiding out under some stuff there. I was at work and my wife happened across it while finishing the packing. She called up for instructions since she's not a tarantula person. I told her either to put a plastic tub over it or try and herd it into a tupperware. She tried the latter, but upon touching it, it freaked and took off really fast (apparently). Then she screamed and ran out of the room. She sort of got composure and came back to find that the T had committed a tactical error and started climbing the wall. From there it was pretty easy for her to nudge it (using my paint brush) toward a little bench in there and then put a plastic tub (1 gal ice cream tub) over it. I'll take care of it tonight.

I'm so glad we were able to find this thing and not have to tell the movers or possibly the next tenants or our landlord. I'm not sure a bug bomb would work because tarantulas are so big, you'd need an incredible amount of poison to take them down that way.

Anyway thanks for all your support. I'm really relieved, though my wife's heart is still pounding apparently.

On another note, anyone in the Chicago area want a 4-5 inch LP? It has a 75% chance of being female since I sexed one of my two LP's as a female but then forgot which one it was. If you can pick it up today or tomorrow you can have it for free. PM me.

Abby

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Ahh I'm glad you found it!
Ohh and you must buy some chocolates or something nice for your wife :D
She is my hero for catching the T even though she was scared :)