Bad news :(

SnakeManJohn

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Blahhh! Sad news tonight :( My relatives from Michigan came to stay the week down here in Tennessee with us and I just happened to leave for the day with my Fiance to come back to my first B. smithi in a box wrapped in paper towl. Turns out that my little cousin tried taking him out and got scared and killed him (what they say). I feel so sorry for this happening :(

Idk. I just thought posting this would help ease the pain a bit I guess. I'll have to wait a bit to get a new T or something until I get the money to buy a new one. But until then, I guess I'll be searching for another precious beauty :(

Such a saddddd day.

desertdweller

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Sorry doesn't cover it. Loss of such a beautiful one is a hard thing. My condolences.

smof

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Man that sucks. I would be seriously fuming if that was me. How old is your cousin and who let him try to fiddle with your spiders?? Sorry for your loss.

UrbanJungles

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You should also tell your relatives and cousin that they shouldn't reach into a large spider's enclosure without you being present as they don't know if it's an aggressive animal. Explain that being bitten by a T is no joke.

I don't let anyone into my animal room without me being present.
Sorry for your loss, I'd be on the warpath!

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I am really sorry to hear about that, I know losing a pet is horrible. :( To prevent this from happening again in the future (if you haven't already), you may want to educate your family, especially young children, on the dangers of holding a tarantula. Show them the bite report thread if need be. Maybe it's just me, but I do feel they should compensate you a little for your loss. But, it's not our family so...:rolleyes:

xhexdx

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
You should also tell your relatives and cousin that they shouldn't reach into a large spider's enclosure without you being present as they don't know if it's an aggressive animal. Explain that being bitten by a T is no joke.

I don't let anyone into my animal room without me being present.
Sorry for your loss, I'd be on the warpath!
I'm just going to quote Danny.

'Nuff said.

scottyk

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I had a younger cousin crank up an aquarium heater on me and cook a group of Discus that I had been raising for two years :evil:

I feel your pain. May I suggest keeping a Taser handy on the next visit....

penny'smom

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
I do think you should, with civility, ask for monetary compensation. Figure out how much it would cost to replace a smithi the same size and gender, and present them with the figures. I also think it should come out of the allowance (or whatever) of the cousin who killed it. If my 11yo had done this to someone, your better bet he'd be paying for it out of allowance. This child should not be allowed to get away with only and "I'm sorry". I'm not being you-know-what about this, I am being a parent who expects any child to be held responsible for it's actions.

cacoseraph

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I do think you should, with civility, ask for monetary compensation. Figure out how much it would cost to replace a smithi the same size and gender, and present them with the figures. I also think it should come out of the allowance (or whatever) of the cousin who killed it. If my 11yo had done this to someone, your better bet he'd be paying for it out of allowance. This child should not be allowed to get away with only and "I'm sorry". I'm not being you-know-what about this, I am being a parent who expects any child to be held responsible for it's actions.
fully!

since i was tiny i absolutely knew i was not allowed to touch other people's stuff without asking. if i broke the rules i paid the price. but you know what? the last time i broke something that didn't belong to me was when i was probably 10 or so.... almost 20 years ago.

i am a firm believer in personal responsibility

arachnophoria

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I would agree that you should be compensated.That feeling that you can't have anything or leave the house, without coming home to death and destruction is an awful feeling.Been there before...not fun.

verry_sweet

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Uhhh I would be having a conniption and I think you should have a very stern talk with this child yourself to let him know the seriousness of the situation.

And I agree with what Danny said.

Agreed :clap: that is responsible parenting and I wish more people would raise their children in such a manner. Most say I’m strict with my daughter but in the same breath tell me that my child is the most well behaved and outgoing child they have ever seen. I’m dreading the influences once she’s in school but hopefully I did my job well and instilled the proper values.

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Isn't it funny that the ones that tell you you're too strict are the ones that have little demons tearing stuff up and screaming like banshees every time someone tells them, "No"?