bad news and a question.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I have had a bad week.
i finally setup my two H.lividums, a adult female and a sub adult female, in two identical tall square tanks custom made for digging.
all was fine for a week, then i must have left one of the lids not secured.
so its 3am and i go to the toilet, awoken by my cat making noise like he is playing, which he always does.
anyway i come out the bathroom and in front of me is one of my cobolts, i panick but tell james to not panick and carfully without startling it to run off under my bed and be forever lost,
so i get it caught again but then iu notice one of its legs is off, another broken and twisted, which i put down to the cat, but i also saw a massive ruopture in her abdomen. :(
looking at her tank i think she fell and hurt herself then the cat got at her, luckily the cat didnt get bitten but alas the spider died.

i put her in a container in the dark over night, and in the morning she was dead :( so i put her in the freezer and that was that. i was so annoyed at myself.

then of course there was the H.minax that died earlier and the one we lost for a month aaages ago and the week before my 22 year old cat died, which wasnt plesent.
and today my rat died.
so yeah its been a real hard month, but the H.lividum really upset me as its mostly my fault.

anyway my last remaining H.lividum is in her tank with 8 inches of soil but she isnt digging, its a peat and soil mix.
any suggestions before i loose another tarantula?

thanks all
bloodred

Hobo

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Staff member
Keep the remaining tarantulas in a room where your cats can't get at it?
Sorry for your loss.

Bjamin

Arachnosquire
Sorry to hear about your string of bad luck. I don't have any advice for you but do wish you the best of luck.

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Keep the remaining tarantulas in a room where your cats can't get at it?
Sorry for your loss.
well no because i live in a flat and the spiders are in the lounge, the cat is allowed everywhere at night, he cant reach the spiders exept when they excape and he sees them ;P

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry for your shoddy luck.

I'd agree with Hobo; put the T in a place where the cat cannot go.

Also, just because she is not digging doesn't mean you're going to lose her.

My H. lividum did not burrow for MONTHS. Little bugger she was.

Then I added more substrate, started a hole for her, and she went right to it.

Just be patient with her! :)

bloodred1889

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Sorry for your shoddy luck.

I'd agree with Hobo; put the T in a place where the cat cannot go.

Also, just because she is not digging doesn't mean you're going to lose her.

My H. lividum did not burrow for MONTHS. Little bugger she was.

Then I added more substrate, started a hole for her, and she went right to it.

Just be patient with her! :)
thankyou.
my cobolt has 8 inche of substrate and i started a hole, well it more of a decline into the corner but she jut sits in that, i hoped like my king baboon in the past she would dig a huge burrow.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
thankyou.
my cobolt has 8 inche of substrate and i started a hole, well it more of a decline into the corner but she jut sits in that, i hoped like my king baboon in the past she would dig a huge burrow.
I'm sure in no time, she'll be below ground, and you'll actually kind of miss seeing her all the time. ;)