Bad Molt

MadTitan

Arachnopeon
My first thought is that he's dying of thirst. Prop him over his water dish, but so his book lungs can't get wet. Or stick him in an ICU, which you have probably read about on these forums.

Good luck.

If he pulls through, send him off to meet a nice lady friend.

Cocoa-Jin

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Never done it before, but "They" say that if you keep a T warm and feed him often, it'll grow faster... and therefore reach maturity and die off quicker.

"They" = numerous posts on the subject. Search "powerfeeding & warm temps".

Again, I have never experienced this before nor have I done this before, but I do know (and have done this) that with snakes, you can powerfeed them to maturity. While there are worlds of difference between the two, I don't see why it would be any different.

Did he actually pass today? Again, my condolences...

I dont see why it would be any different, i think they've shown it applies to humans and all other animals too. Something about the act of digestion and absorbtion of nutrients is hard on the body. they say the digestive track goes through more renewal than any other part of the body...i believe including the skin.

In theory your cells have a some-what finite number of divisions and rebirths before they just stop. They say the indicator of how much more time or re-births/divisions left can be determined by some fiberous looking things in the nucleus or DNA or something. Each division shortens that strand until it becomes too small to allow additional reproductions of itself, essentially stopping any new cell division and growth...when that cell dies, thats it. If that happens to enough cells you the eventual death or insufficient functionality of the organ(s) and that eventually leads to death of the organism.

*nerd mode off*

treeweta

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
grimlock.

losing a male spider to old age is one thing, try this for size: I had to move abroad at quick notice, i was left with the option of selling all my adult T's or letting an aquaintence look after them (just in case the move didnt work and i moved back), i was despeate not to sell them so left them in the hands of a spider sitter who had his own so i felt fairly confindent that they would be ok for a year or so. anyway i did move back and when i recontacted the spider sitter after 2 year or so (and i really only have myself to blame here) as he seemed to vanish, all but 2 of the spiders were dead or vanished!! what did i lose? adult captive bred Theraphosa blondi and apophysis, xenesthis immansis, king baboons, pamphobeteus, brachypelma. In hindsight i should have sold them!! it was quite a disheartening experience.

Grimlock

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Update:

He's been doing better now. I placed him in a ICU container that forced him to the water dish. And well ... He's becoming more active and looking more healthy (fuller abdomen), but still not eating.

I think, MadTitan; you were right. I believe he was dehydrated. I don't know why. He has a H2O dish always topped off at his convenience. Maybe he's losing his memory. LOL.

Anyhow, I'm very proud to say my friend is still here and things are looking up. :)

Thanks again to you guys for eveything. I'm always learning new things about tarantulas. It's awesome.

P.S. Treeweta, that's a real sad story you got there. Some people ... huh?

The_Thunderer

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Update:

He's been doing better now. I placed him in a ICU container that forced him to the water dish. And well ... He's becoming more active and looking more healthy (fuller abdomen), but still not eating.

I think, MadTitan; you were right. I believe he was dehydrated. I don't know why. He has a H2O dish always topped off at his convenience. Maybe he's losing his memory. LOL.

Anyhow, I'm very proud to say my friend is still here and things are looking up. :)

Thanks again to you guys for eveything. I'm always learning new things about tarantulas. It's awesome.

P.S. Treeweta, that's a real sad story you got there. Some people ... huh?
Well, isn't this a good surprise! Hope he continues down the road of recovery!

Truff135

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I was afraid this was going to end bad, I'm very glad to hear he's feeling better. Maybe he needs a nice lady friend to...help him out...hehe! But really, I've only had my T for a week and if anything happened to her I know I would cry, so don't feel bad! We're keeping our fingers crossed for your buddy! {D