Bad Molt

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
I have 2 asian forest scorplings that both molted today, and I had to manually help them both out of there molts, they both had no problem getting their bodies out but their claws got stuck. one scorpion broke a claw, it's just kind of dangling. my other scorpion got both claws stuck and now both of his claws are just dangling like he has no use of them and theyre mutilated. can anyone let me know if they will make it, does anyone else have scorpion with one or both claws unusable?

Goodlukwitthat

Arachnoknight
Did they have proper humidity/misted regularly? I've never had any molt issues with mine. I would assume they would need at least 1 useful claw to hold their prey to their mouth to eat (at least that's what I've witnessed all of mine do when they get fed. Some don't even sting their prey)

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
Yes they were kept in high humidity average of 85 degrees Fahrenheit on one side of tank, I'm not sure what caused these problems

darkness975

Latrodectus
Arachnosupporter +
Wow sorry to hear that this happened. I have not had any issues with my growing P. imperators. Not sure what the issue could have been.
Not to play the opposite side here but one question I have is are you absolutely sure they were stuck at the time that you intervened? Often they will go through periods where they rest during the process.

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
Well I am no expert but I am pretty sure, as they had already started walking around but still with their claws stuck in the molt and I could tell before even trying to separate them from their molt that their arms were pretty mangled as in twisted/broken almost about to rip off. Also ididn't seem to do any farther damage to them as I simply cut as close as I could to the claws without actually touching the claws. so they didn't have to drag it around.

ScorpionObsession

Arachnosquire
Well it's nearing 5 days sinice they both molted and I'm sad to say that the scorpion with 2 Broken claws didn't make it through the night last night. but the one with only one broken claw still stuck in molt seems to be doing alot better. but I'm not getting my hopes up yet.

G. Carnell

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Hey

Yea, it usually doesn't end well when the claws get stuck. Any damage or stress to the scorps will usually end up with them dead!

best way is to never interfere in a moult, if you think its struggling, load some water into the earth beside the scorp and crank the heat up!

I've only rarely managed to help a scorpion get its claws out, its nearly impossible not to damage the scorpion :(