Bad Molt

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Hi: The other day I made a statement in a thread that so far we've been lucky that all of our molts had been successful. I should've knocked on wood. For the first time in 2 years our Fringed Ornamental didn't come out very well. She has only 1 pedipalp, and missing a leg, and 2 of them in the back are crippled. Bless her heart, it is a sad thing to see. I will never say anything like that again. Pam

scarkro

Arachnopeon
oo im sorry i'm dealing with the same thing on my ornamnental baboon missing a hind leg and another one that is crippled i feel so bad but...it happens

Exodus

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Time heals all wounds Pam,Especially with Tarantulas:D Cheer up though

Lzandjt

Arachnopeon
Ive got a P. Formosa that had a terrible molt too. It lost 7 legs. It drags itself around with its pedipalps and fangs. Its one leg doesnt do much good ......cause when it uses it ....it just goes in a circle.....but he/ she is tuff and i think will make it . :eek:

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by Lzandjt
Ive got a P. Formosa that had a terrible molt too. It lost 7 legs. It drags itself around with its pedipalps and fangs. Its one leg doesnt do much good ......cause when it uses it ....it just goes in a circle.....but he/ she is tuff and i think will make it . :eek:
If I had a tarantula that had that bad of a molt I would put the poor thing down. Ofcorse this is of personal choice. I couldn't sit and watch it suffer. Good luck to all.

Last edited:

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
!!!

i feel terrible just even hearing this! poor things! i just cant bear to listen to anymore. i hope all goes well for your T's, i will pray for them... Good Luck,

James:8o

AlbinoDragon829

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Loosing 7 legs is horrid... I would probably euthanise it as well.. But to the first situation, it could have been worse.. Just keep in mind that it will regenerate in the following molts! :)

pamandron

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Thanks guys for the encouraging words. And yes Jeremy I agree with you that maybe it would be better to put it out of her misery.
I guess that will be an option if we can't get her to eat. We fixed her cage up so that she can have a hiding place without climbing. I do hope the other t missing 7 legs pulls through also.
Pam

jwb121377

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Well at least it has some legs. That poor tatratula with no legs Im sure is doomed. Your's on the other hand should recover fine. I know she's in good hands.:)

Gail

Arachnopixie
Old Timer
There were experiements conducted where they purposely removed all of a tarantulas legs, placed it on a pedistal and hand fed it. The legs grew back. I think if you are willing to put in the extra effort that both spiders in question will recover in time.

Gail

MrT

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I agree with Gail,

If its not dieing for lack of eating, then it should be able to molt out of its present condition. It may take a long, long time. I give it up to Lzandjt for careing enough to put in the time to help the poor thing live. Good for you!!!:) :)

Ernie

Tarantula Lover

Psalmopoeus Lover
Old Timer
hi

please give us updates! i agree with gail as well!! Good Luck to the both of you and your T's!!

James

Joy

Priestess of Pulchra-tude
Old Timer
Originally posted by MrT
I agree with Gail,

If its not dieing for lack of eating, then it should be able to molt out of its present condition. It may take a long, long time. I give it up to Lzandjt for careing enough to put in the time to help the poor thing live. Good for you!!!:) :)

Ernie
I vote to save it, too. They are designed to regenerate limbs, so why not give them a chance to do their stuff? :)

Joy

Lzandjt

Arachnopeon
Fortunately, My little one legged P. Regalis (not formosa as i said in my original post) is doing real good he had his bad molt about a month ago and is doing real good.....I kill crickets and he eats....and gets around amazingly well. He is only about 1 and 1/4 inches so i am expecting a molt before too long. Anyway I will keep you posted.

conipto

ArachnoPrincess
Old Timer
Originally posted by Gail
There were experiements conducted where they purposely removed all of a tarantulas legs, placed it on a pedistal and hand fed it. The legs grew back. I think if you are willing to put in the extra effort that both spiders in question will recover in time.

Gail
The only thing I wonder, is how in said experiment did they get said tarantula to molt? just flip it over ever few days and see if it molted or what? I'd be interested to read any literature on this experiment, though it is nothing I'd personally enjoy seeing myself.

On the main topic at hand, Why euthanize something that can survive. I think it should be given a little help along the way, and a nice nickname to reflect it's ill luck. 'Bill' comes to mind ;)

Bill