Bad molt P matallica?

SamG

Arachnopeon
IMG_1467.JPG Hello everyone,
I have a P.Matallica that's been with me for around 4/5 months now and this is the 3rd molt under my care it's just had(Last night). In the second molt it lost a leg and it had been regenerated in this molt but there is a small drop above the joint that attaches it to the carapace. Is this blood from the shorter leg that may have got caught on something and torn? I have to move the container to check them in the morning so I may very well have starteled it. Is she/he going to die :(. Is there anything I can do??

Thanks guys

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Is the same leg missing again? Or did the regenerated leg come off?
It looks like a big drop of haemolymph, but if it doesn't get bigger i would leave it alone and top off the waterdish. Maybe sprinkle some water near the T for easy access to water.
If it keeps leaking, corn starch applied locally can help, although i'm not sure if i would want my hand that close to a Poecilotheria. The starch can also get on other parts if the T and cause problems there.
Id leave it alone in a nice warm and datk spot with easy access to water.

SamG

Arachnopeon
It is the same leg but it has not fallen of it still looks barley attached. I'll pipette some drops next to it now.

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Sometimes leg regeneration can screw up, so the T will just amputate the leg again and restart the process. Just give it lots of water.

SamG

Arachnopeon
Ok sweet. So I've put the T in the enclosure on the window frame in my bathroom and just turned the shower on to get some steam in here also pipetted some droplets to the inside surface area of the enclosure and filled the water bowl so it's nice and warm humid with plenty of water. Fingers crossed it is just a leg amp and she's ok! Thanks people :)

Moakmeister

Arachnodemon
Ok sweet. So I've put the T in the enclosure on the window frame in my bathroom and just turned the shower on to get some steam in here also pipetted some droplets to the inside surface area of the enclosure and filled the water bowl so it's nice and warm humid with plenty of water. Fingers crossed it is just a leg amp and she's ok! Thanks people :)
As long as that window frame doesn't get really hot or isnt in bright sunlight

SamG

Arachnopeon
As long as that window frame doesn't get really hot or isnt in bright sunlight
Aha no it's actually the most pointless window in my house. My upstairs has a balcony on the inside so it's just a window to my living room that's underneath.

SamG

Arachnopeon
Not sure if upping humidity is necessary and/or helpful. @cold blood and @EulersK and @KezyGLA might know more about Poecilotheria in particular.
Oh really. Well it was convenient as I was just having a quick shower and thought it might help so at least it's not a constant just incase. Hopefully it hasn't done any harm I've read on here before of people doing it after a tarantula has just molted. Everyone's opinions can be so different it's hard to follow people sometimes.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I may be experienced with others, but I'm a newbie with pokies :p I've only ever owned an adult female P. striata. Sorry! Best of luck, OP.

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Certainly a leak of some sort. Humidity from water dish should be fine if filled daily. Cross ventilation is a saint but too much can dry things up. However, when it comes to moults, the important factor is they must be hydrated, by having a fresh water source available at all times.

Habitat humidity isn't really the issue when it comes to bad moults but it can help in some ways.

I really dont know what you can do apart from cross your fingers and hope for the best. If leaking fluid has stopped then I wouldnt worry too much. Just keep on top of the waterdish and try not to disturb until hardened as may flee and cause injury if exo is soft.

The fluid doesnt look like haemolymph. It could be fluids from the joints from losing a leg. The good thing is it should be back next couple of moults.

gypsy cola

Arachnoknight
My P.metallica did the same thing. Leg is fully generated and you can't tell the difference. Everything that can be said has been said. Follow @KezyGLA advice.

Anoplogaster

Arachnodemon
Well, from your second photo, it looks like the partially regenerated leg is discolored. So hopefully, the fluid is just from that, and the body end is sealed. Just keep a close eye to see if it continues to flow. She'll most likely amputate the leg herself, since it's probably not functional. I imagine it tore at the joint during the molt because of how skinny and fragile it is.

cold blood

Staff member
Ok sweet. So I've put the T in the enclosure on the window frame in my bathroom and just turned the shower on to get some steam :)
Yeah upping humidity is pointless, especially after the molt has already occurred....and I am not a fan of that bathroom steam thing people seem to get suggested at times....to me that's more of a risk than anything.

To me it does look like hemolymph. It looks like the regenerated leg was flawed and leaked out...it will likely be self-amputated rather soon.

Good news is that leaking legs aren't an issue...they have a valve at the base of their legs that allows them to cut off the flow to any limb should it suffer an injury.....ts don't die from bleeding legs or leg injuries very often...not sure if I have ever heard of one actually.

Just keep water in the dish so it can replenish the fluids, as long as its just the leg, it should be fine.

Last edited:

SamG

Arachnopeon
Thank you everyone she's still alive and looking fine!

The fluid has gone and does not still seem to be leaking however the leg is still attached.

It doesn't look like its causing to much hassle ATM so is best practice to leave it for a couple of days to see self amputation occur and then come back to the forum if not to discuss next options?

Thanks again everyone was a sketchy day for me yesterday!

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Good news, it should self amputate in a few days. It sucks but at least not fatal :)

I own a few gimps myself that are missing a leg or a few. I feed them a strict diet of waxworms and superworms until legs have been regrown to normal size. I have noticed using these feeders speeds up the process of regeneration. It has given good results. I had a C. sanderi which only had 4 legs and 1 palp when I received it. I fed it waxworms only and all limbs grew back to almost normal size after 1 moult. None of the legs were skinny, I was shocked and delighted.