Bad molt gone good!

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
DISCLAIMER: (NOW ASSUMING THREAT POSTURE!) I AM ULTRA-AWARE OF THE DELICACY OF THE MOLT. I WOULD NEVER, EVER, INTERFERE UNLESS I WAS 100%, ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE THAT MY T WAS IN TROUBLE AND NEEDED MY HELP, AND THEN WOULD ONLY ASSIST WITH AS LITTLE INVASION AS POSSIBLE. I HAVE WATCHED MY SLINGS MOLT AND AM VERY FAMILIAR WITH THEIR “RHYTHMS” AND HOW LONG THEY USUALLY TAKE FOR THE WHOLE PROCESS.

Having said that; it is “molt week” for my little Curlies who are 1” to 2” and from the same sac. Yesterday morning, I had a brand new fuzzy baby, 5 minutes after checking on her to she if she was getting ready for the act! This morning however, one of the girls had perched herself in a precarious position on top of her 2-liter white bottle cap hidey hole and had shed all but the legs. If she moved one more millimeter, she would have fallen 1/4”. Not good considering the position she was in. Well, I watched, I waited, ad nauseum, and she WOULD NOT move. I carefully transferred her to a damp p.t. without “flexing” or moving her position. 30 minutes later, still nothing. You know how the legs are all in a bunch... well I dabbed at that area with a wet cotton swab. (Guys, keep in mind that I cared for my boys’ circumcision wounds successfully, a mom KNOWS gentleness!!) Unfortunately, she must have been too weak to move. 30 minutes, after no movement whatsoever, I teased the exuvia off the legs with the wet swab. I put her under the heat lamp (again, don’t freak, it’s my word for the area by the lamp that is a constant 79F) 15 minutes... no movement. I stared so hard my eyes started watering! But then, the spinnerets wiggled! Then the “air push ups” started. It took her over 45 minutes of stretching before she flipped over and she’s now resplendent with her little afro! I was terrified... Nixy I thought of you and the happy spider dance! I almost called in to work even though I’m the supervisor!! But oh what a feeling to help a little T make it though a bad molt, I’m busting with pride like a new mom! And it was a great gift for today is the 2nd anniversary of my dad’s death and I woke up with that damn black cloud!

Hope this experience will help any of who who go through the same thing... my whole reason for posting this.

chid

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Well done ,glad it worked out ok in the end.
Chid

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I just hope you can let me borrow some of your luck with my poor Aphonopelma texense. I've started a thread concerning her plight you can look at for yourselves. But I'm glad your Curly made it. I own a tiny one and she's so adorable. I'd hate to have anything disasterous happen to her.

Beth-Tex

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Am just tickled pink that your 8 legged baby made it through all in one piece & that all is OK now.:D

You're a GOOD spidey mommy.:D

I, recently also had a bad molt gone good for one of my 1" B.emilias & had to "help out.".........so I do know how that makes you feel.

Again...........CONGRATS!!!!:D

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
YAY Beth-Tex, you're a good spider mommy too!

Am I the only one with "Molt Phobia?" Last night I got home from work and my GBB (1/2") was on her back. That ended all plans for the evening, I had to stay by the enclosure and keep an eye on her. It seemed to take forever although it was only 4 hours. I haven't looked at the clock so much since I was in labor with my OWN!!!

It seems now that I have slings, if one of them starts a molt, everything else in my life is put on hold. I even tried to watch t.v. last night while watching GBB, but couldn't concentrate on it! (I'm not an avid t.v. watcher anyway, average about an hour a week!)

So have I invented a new condition? Or do we all suffer from it to some degree. It must be a symptom of my terminal disease, "ARACHNEED!":D

Godzilla2000

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Originally posted by MizM
YAY Beth-Tex, you're a good spider mommy too!

Am I the only one with "Molt Phobia?" Last night I got home from work and my GBB (1/2") was on her back. That ended all plans for the evening, I had to stay by the enclosure and keep an eye on her. It seemed to take forever although it was only 4 hours. I haven't looked at the clock so much since I was in labor with my OWN!!!

It seems now that I have slings, if one of them starts a molt, everything else in my life is put on hold. I even tried to watch t.v. last night while watching GBB, but couldn't concentrate on it! (I'm not an avid t.v. watcher anyway, average about an hour a week!)

So have I invented a new condition? Or do we all suffer from it to some degree. It must be a symptom of my terminal disease, "ARACHNEED!":D
You aren't the only one with Molt Phobia. I had that all day on Easter when my Pinktoe, Pandora was molting. She's lost one of her hind legs but by the next molt she should get it back. She's doing great right now crawling on a deli cup I placed in her enclosure. I feel bad that I had to destroy her masterpiece to get to the exuvia. :( But hopefully once she's all hardened up she'll get the notion to build another one.

Nixy

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
(Does a belated happy moult moult dance)
Hehehe.
Glad it went well.

MizM

Arachnoprincess
Old Timer
Six down, two to go... whew what a week. They are each molting one a day, why can't they all do it in one day and get it over with? I have 4 different species of slings, and they all molt within a week... I wonder if habitat has something to do with that?