Bad Molt Dead Twisted Leg

Reese

Arachnopeon
I have heard time and time again that NO owner should ever attempt to remove even dead legs still attached. But I am still here to ask yet again another question about my B. Smithi Tarantula.

Now I have made a previous thread which was about this exact subject on her bad molt but on a whole different fear. But now again I am fearful because a recent change has me questioning if she is "Okay." Now I see no blood coming from the rear lV leg on her right side, but what recently happened was somehow she manage to yet again TWIST her leg more at the knee of the curled foot instead. Even more so it looks like you can see the inside of this leg as if its completely dead, which makes me heavily question for instance if they can only just push off an entire leg, or if tarantulas can push off half a leg and cut the blood flow off??? If that is not the case, can you perhaps be able to tell if its okay? I know the picture isn't great and I am sorry for this...

Her leg scares me and honestly I don't know what else actions to take other than let her walk it off or eventually finally get rid of the leg entirely, which she has YET to do :(

I actually am still trying to get better visuals so I can try to figure out exactly what im looking at where its twisted in between at her knee, but I almost feel positive that it looks pretty open, and I am just completely fearful of the "What if my tarantula is bleeding and im unaware." Though if she was already bleeding then she probably would have already passed away by now... That probably cant be the case.. But also neither do I exactly know what Tarantula blood would look like to begin with other than looking for some form of liquid leak

EDIT: yes I can indeed "See" halfway of the opening of her knee, which means the leg is most likely dead with how twisted it is. the inside has a light shine to it which I think might be the black coming from her body itself, but it doesn't "glisten" like liquid exactly or show any evidence of liquid leak. It sure doesn't look great though.... :L
I just wish she would pop it off and be done with it :(

Attachments

Last edited:

Neonblizzard

Arachnomoron
If she decides to drop it then she will. If its annoying her she will drop it. There's nothing for you to do, it's not hurting her or doing anything besides looking gnarly.

Do not attempt to remove under any circumstances.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
Like NeonBlizzard said, they will remove it if they need too. It isn't hurting her at the moment, so unless it gets in the way she will probably let it be. Spiders have been around for ~300 million years, so they know what to do with their legs more than any human will ;)

Reese

Arachnopeon
Thanks to both of you! I appreciate it greatly, and I guess I just needed assurance again because I felt nervous about her standing if shes gonna be making it out of this bad molt really as a whole. I guess I will continue to keep monitoring but not try to be so anxious of it unless new events spiral to create concern.

Doodlebird

Arachnoknight
Thanks to both of you! I appreciate it greatly, and I guess I just needed assurance again because I felt nervous about her standing if shes gonna be making it out of this bad molt really as a whole. I guess I will continue to keep monitoring but not try to be so anxious of it unless new events spiral to create concern.
Sounds good! In my opinion, it's better to worry to much than too little, so you can nip any issues as soon as they come up. Your spider looks stunning, so I hope everything gets resolved quickly :)

Smotzer

ArachnoGod
Arachnosupporter +
Patience!!!...all you can do is wait and hope it amputates thhe legs and then molts out of the issue later down the road, you will only make it worse at this point by trying to intervene. It can shut of bloodflow to the leg and amputate it if it feels its necessary, dont make that decision for it!

Blueandbluer

Arachnobaron
It's always sad to see a bad leg but as ugly as it looks, it's almost never a big deal as long as there was no other injury as well. As the others have said, leave her alone -- she'll drop it if necessary. Either way, it'll be better in a molt or two.