bad molt day

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
A bad molt day

Another P. trans molted a few days ago. It's tail got stuck during the molt. Maybe too dry(?). So I picked it up, added a little water to the tail to soften the old exo up a little and very slowly pulled it off. I would stop when I saw the scorp wasn't trying to pull it's tail out on it's own. Then when it started pulling, I'd pull just a little too. I think it had been stuck a while. I thought it was a goner. Legs were all stuck together and where still stuck like that many hours later. I lightly misted and went to bed. I checked the next day and it looked very normal. Here's a before and after pick. The one on the left in the first pic was one instar (pretty sure) behind the one on the right. The one on the left in the second pic is the same one on the left in the first pic after it molted a few days ago. It's tail is a lot thicker. I was real happy to see it alive and well the next day. About time to move these to bigger containers.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
One of your kids (a male) is living right next door to the left in the pic and looks premolt to me. I think he's going to look pretty awesome. I'm going to make sure I keep an eye on him around molt time. These two in the pic came from Kraken(?) when he was still alive on the AB. But, maybe he got them from you? I lost a few so I felt good to have a male, from you, and 2 females left that might be from a little diff gene pool... even though it prob doesn't matter much. I like these scorps because the grow fast and are kind of feisty and not afraid of much when they are hungry{D .

Mark Newton

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Nice scorps, nice pics. I like your contaner, very neat. Our scorpions would die in a flash if kept like that. Maybe the air over here is just a very desiccating air or something. Congrats on the molt. Scorpions need a certain level of humidity for a successful ecdysis. Better keep your eye on the other pending one seeing the first had trouble. Maybe add a little water to the container.

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
Very awesome! :) Glad he came through! However in the first pic, the one on the left, in fact both look too big and dark coloured to be 1st instar, scorpions are born into 1st instar, and after their first moult are second instar. Depending on size ofcourse, they both look as though they could be in 3rd instar. Anyways, congrats!

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
I think they are in their 5 instar. I was trying to say that I thought one was one instar "ahead" of the other. They look to be tied at the same instar now but just guessing. I think they will look pretty big next instar:drool: .

polphot

Arachnopeon
Its nice that you were there right in time to save them. I remember most of my molt mishaps happen before when im working or during weekends while i binge on beer and i just reach home ready to wear a sad face.

Heres a Cheer to a great save! :clap: :clap: :clap:

Urizen

Arachnosquire
Old Timer
I think they are in their 5 instar. I was trying to say that I thought one was one instar "ahead" of the other. They look to be tied at the same instar now but just guessing. I think they will look pretty big next instar:drool: .
Sorry, you probably thought I was thinking you were an idiot or something. Good luck though! Hope every goes right from here on. :clap: I really dig this species, next to Parabuthus Granulatus, and Uroplectes Triangulifer. !

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
That's OK. I might have been someone that DID think they were 1st Instar. You never know. The same day the P. trans molted, I looked under a rock with some baby emps and one had a chela stuck in it's exo. Lucked out there too. I slowly pulled it off. I think it was stuck a long time because the chela is withered now compared to the other one. Plenty of moisture and I think it's warm enough. Don't know what happened there.