Bad molt and surgery

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Making my rounds today, I went to feed my lil A purpurea and I found him out of his web face down in his water bowl. PANIC set in. I have been raising this guy to mate with my big girl.

I pulled him out to find that both his palps are caught in his molt and joined together by the fangs, sort of like a lil kid with his head and arms stuck in his sweater.

I laid him down and started cutting him out as best I could.

Free and in an ICU, cut alot of the molt off his palps, but not all.

He is not too responsive but still alive. I don't expect him to make it, but I had to give it a shot.

PIG-:(

Ictinike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Sorry to hear and see pig :(

Here's some good thoughts to your guy...

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
PIG... Sorry to see this.. I hope the little guy pulls through for you...

Londoner

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Tough break PIG! :(

Good job on the "surgery" :clap:

Hoping for the best.

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Man I am so sorry bro!! Have you tried "gliceryin" (spelling)...it basically the main ingredient in well....personal lubricant (no pun intended here)....I have used this many time and it works great to get stuck on molts off....I had the exact same situation and it worked great!

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Man I am so sorry bro!! Have you tried "gliceryin" (spelling)...it basically the main ingredient in well....personal lubricant (no pun intended here)....I have used this many time and it works great to get stuck on molts off....I had the exact same situation and it worked great!

Good insight Rob, thanks.
Of course I don't have the massive amount of personal lubricant around that you do...

dianedfisher

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Darn it, George. I hate to see this post. I hope you were able to save him. They're tougher than we give them credit for sometimes, but he looks in bad shape. I have a little boy who was a gift from Junebug. He's still a few molts away from mature but I'll make a mental note to get ahold of you first if you loose your little man. Fingers crossed here that he survives.
Di

robc

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
Of course I don't have the massive amount of personal lubricant around that you do...
Thanks...and nice comment...and it's true! LOL {D

Warpig, keep us updated...this sucks! :(

WARPIG

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Darn it, George. I hate to see this post. I hope you were able to save him. They're tougher than we give them credit for sometimes, but he looks in bad shape. I have a little boy who was a gift from Junebug. He's still a few molts away from mature but I'll make a mental note to get ahold of you first if you loose your little man. Fingers crossed here that he survives.
Di
Thanks Di, it seems that the last two losses have involved my lil treasures. Fisrt I lost my A minatrix right out of his maturing molt (no reason, just gone) and you came to the rescue BIG time, and now this lil guy.

I guage my success by avi sacs, nothing else really matters, just avis.
This guy was a good eater and never had a problem.

Things happen, but with me it happens with male avis close to maturing.

Guys thanks for the advice and kind words, lets see what tomorrow brings for this lil guy.

PIG-

Salamanderhead

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
HAHAHAHAHAHHH I lol'd big time.

Sorry to see your tarantula in such bad condition though. I hope it pulls through.

ZergFront

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You can find glycerin at CVS Pharmecy. I originally got it for when I needed to help my alligator lizard shed. Now I keep some in my tarantula first aid kit.

It's used as both a skin softener and an ingredient for making hard candies. It comes in a little bottle. Has a syrupy texture and bitter sweet taste.