Bad memory or just too much T's ?

ledzeppelin

Arachnobaron
Hello! I recently got my 15th tarantula, thank you very much! I mean, I got 3 because I previously had 12. I got a P. miranda, C. Sanderi and L. Violaceps. All slings :)

Aaanyway, I have 15 now, and I know that this is not a lot for many of you here. But I just can't remember who ate a few days ago and who refused and such.. I struggled but managed with 10, but now I just can't memorize anymore.. So I started keeping track of feeding. I have kept track of molts before, but now I changed the game.. I made a table for all my T's and I write dates whenever they eat :D So I know for how long they've been refusing and such.. I find it way easier and neater now haha :D I know it's not necessary to be so meticulous when it comes to feeding, but I like things on record, and I tend to get paranoid when I can't remember things :D

So, did any of you do the same at some point? What was your breaking point number? :D

LZ

Rittdk01

Arachnoknight
I don't have many, but I don't sweat feeding and watering. I check water every day and change as needed. I throw crickets in to all my tarantulas every few days. Check later and pull out uneaten live oneswhich I throw in to Doomsday my Burgundy Goliath.

Vanessa

Grammostola Groupie
I started a spreadsheet at around 10 as well. Mostly because I had a lot of moulting going on and I'm paranoid that I am going to feed someone too early after they moult. So, when someone moults, I enter 'M' in the spreadsheet for the number of days that they can't be fed.
It works really well.

EulersK

Arachnonomicon
Staff member
I do keep track of molting, but I have no system to keep track of feeding. It's all in my head. I've got roughly 50 adults/juvies and roughly 30 slings.

Bugmom

Arachnolord

Olan

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
I have 14, and I can keep track of feeding in my head. But maybe 15 would be the breaking point...

truecreature

Arachnoknight
I can't even remember what I ate more than a day ago, so I've been keeping records for my spiders right from the start

Trenor

Arachnoprince
Got Android????
This free app was developed by a member and it rocks! record keeping for most anything as well as settable reminders
http://arachnoboards.com/threads/so-i-made-an-application.256549/
This is what I use as well. It's a great app.

When I feed now days it's in cycles. I feed them all on the same day weekly and add an extra day in the middle of the week to feed the slings a second time. If they eat I note it. If not, they wait till next feeding time. I water when ever I see they need it throughout the week.

This makes the whole thing pretty easy to remember.

I have been considering giving the slings a bigger meal and moving them to once a week feedings like the adults. They get the same food per week and it takes less time.

Last edited:

Graves6661

Arachnosquire
I only have 4 Ts as of now but I do keep a note book with a log of feedings (offered prey item, accepted, refused), molts and another small section where I jot down anything noticeably different or interesting such as behavior or is the T redecorated the enclosure. Even though my collect is small keep these notes just for my own curiosity and to pick up on patterns and such. also helps keep track of when I last fed them since with my hectic schedule sometimes I cant remember when i last offered food and who ate.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
So, did any of you do the same at some point? What was your breaking point number?
I keep it all in my head. However, I record the dates and number of prey they eat to look at things like growth/feeding changes due to weather, its gender, age/size etc.

I keep all this info down on paper and pencil because if I lose it using a computer then I have nothing.

I don't need to know when they last ate, I just look at their abdomen size, even for my 1/8th inch slings, to know if they could use another crix or not.

Biollantefan54

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I have 60+ inverts, mostly spiders, I just check on them multiple times throughout the day..I get bored.. .and just look to see which one needs to be fed

basin79

ArachnoGod
I don't have many, but I don't sweat feeding and watering. I check water every day and change as needed. I throw crickets in to all my tarantulas every few days. Check later and pull out uneaten live oneswhich I throw in to Doomsday my Burgundy Goliath.
Love that name.

WeightedAbyss75

Arachnoangel
I have recently learned the ways of pamphobeteus and acanthoscurria ;) Any crix or dubias I throw in to my others and aren't eaten are given to them and they eat anything and everything :D At least one garbage disposal T is necessary IMO