Bad info from pet stores

phil jones

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
i do not buy my ( t ) from pet shops as a lot just want to make a sale and do not care about the ( t ) just getting your money :wall: :wall: :wall: so i find on the net reputable dealers and breeders and buy from genuine keepers and in the end get a good deal and no hassle from some of the cretins in the pet shops !!! === phil ;) :) :clap: :clap: :D

Meaningless End

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
ok i have to step in for the pet shops for a second because well.. i work for one. IF you go into a shop and things arnt being done right then what do you do? just come here and complain or do you actually talk to the pet shop employes and try to get them into spiders and teach them a little about general care. most people work at pet shops (at least the mom and pop ones) becasue they actaully care about animals. why else would you get a job there? the shop i work at has about 40 spiders at any givin time and i make sure that most of what we buy is captive bred. Not all shops are bad and it can be nice to be able to actually see your spider before you buy it.

be proactive and teach the willing but if they arent willing to learn then thats on them but at least be able to say you tried.

and no my T's arnt keept on bark chips and a sponge

oh and yes i love to make sales but only becasue it gets more poeple into our hobby and brings me one step closer to makeing that next order.... i love new spider day its like christmas.

BinarySpider

Arachnopeon
Store dependent

I think that it all depends on the employees and management of the store rather than the chain name.

I went into a very large pet store which is a huge chain about a week ago and asked to see the Avicularia. It was labeled that way with the common name Pink_Toe. I asked which species it was and he replied Pik_Toe. He forgot the N in pink. I said no which species is this one. Again he replied Pik_Toe. I said that I have a list with some species data on my computer with around 20 different Avicularia Pink_Toes. Again I asked which species it was and he replied I donot like spiders while shaking his head no.

I said well thanks for your time and I suggested that they get the species name on their tarantulas. Personally I think that it may have been the A.avicularia.

I called a reptile shop in Denver and the employee there not only knew the common names for their tarantulas but also knew the exact genus and species with the correct pronunciation. This was all over the phone.

BTW: the Denver store had a couple of young 4 inch long Mexican Fire Leg named Brachypelma boehmei for 225 bucks each. It seems that they get very pricey as they reach adulthood.

BinarySpider

smokin' boas

Arachnopeon
i worked at a local pet store. i tried very hard to meet all the tarantulas' needs, but i couldn't put all that i wanted to into them or the reptiles and amphibians. with all the focus on selling dogs and fish tanks in order because they make the most profit, it doesn't leave much time for everything else. another issue is that most people who work at these stores are young generally uninformed people whose interest in animals involves having a 10 gallon fish tank and a cat. they make minimum wage or close to it and their goal is to get out of there as early as possible. since i've worked there, the standard tarantula care there has improved somewhat, but for the most part its still pretty "ratty".

BinarySpider

Arachnopeon
Another One

Another one.

I went into a small pet store in my city which is also a very large chain and at this store the lady not only knew the common names but she also knew the genus and species name of what she had. She had info with photos to help her out if something was questionable. She claimed that she always uses the same reputable breeder for their tarantulas.

This is where I got my first T in over 20 years. It was labled Giant White Knee. I wondered whether it may actually be the Giant Black and White or not but I think it is geniculata. Depending on which picture you look at online I think that it could still go either way. They both do look very simular at 2 inches.

They also have a 2 inch A.versi and a 2 1/2 inch G.B.B. which I would like both. The A.versi built a hammock and the G.B.B. has so much web in the cage I can barely see it.

BinarySpider

edesign

AB FB Group Moderatr
Old Timer
i worked at a local pet store. i tried very hard to meet all the tarantulas' needs, but i couldn't put all that i wanted to into them or the reptiles and amphibians. with all the focus on selling dogs and fish tanks in order because they make the most profit, it doesn't leave much time for everything else. another issue is that most people who work at these stores are young generally uninformed people whose interest in animals involves having a 10 gallon fish tank and a cat. they make minimum wage or close to it and their goal is to get out of there as early as possible. since i've worked there, the standard tarantula care there has improved somewhat, but for the most part its still pretty "ratty".
you wouldn't be talking about a pet store formerly owned by our "beloved" *cough* *sputter* *choke* *gag* Joey Durel would you? Only store in town I know of that carries T's...and I hate going in there and seeing them like that. In a way I kind of keep hoping that nobody will buy them so they won't reorder any more.