Bad Beardie!!!!!

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
so this morning...i opened the top to my beardies enclosure and he was on top of his hide cave....so i reached in to pick him up and hold him for a few minutes while my wife dished him out some fresh veggies...and ill be darned if he didnt flatten out his body and puff out his beard and open his mouth!!! :embarrassed: the only thing i could think of is that he was cold, as i hadnt turned on his lights yet?? anyone else have this problem? he is usually really calm and docile...not overly friendly like most beardies. (he doesnt run to the glass and wave or get excited when you come in, but he DOES like to be held)

AneesasMuse

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Okay... being very new to Beardies... I'm taking this as a bad thing like "he was gonna bite you?" and not "he was feeling frisky?" ...right? :eek:

When little Hugo opens his mouth, it means "feed me" still. :D

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Okay... being very new to Beardies... I'm taking this as a bad thing like "he was gonna bite you?" and not "he was feeling frisky?" ...right? :eek:

When little Hugo opens his mouth, it means "feed me" still. :D
lol! yeah..it was an "im gonna bit you" pose....

mindlessvw

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
maybe you startled him...i know when mine are alseep theya re out like lights and if you scare them it freaks them out! also that bite sucks be careful

roach dude

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
i say you beat that reble into place....nothing better than a old belt buckle... no im joking dont hurt him.... also it might be that you startled him..;P :) ;P

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
lol! thanks guys! maybe thats what it was...he wasnt asleep though...but it wasnt very bright so he may not have seen me. but do you think the temp. could have had anything to do with it? its wasnt exactly COLD it was about 70 degrees (F)

Mushroom Spore

Arachnoemperor
Old Timer
its wasnt exactly COLD it was about 70 degrees (F)
That's kind of pushing it, though. The temp range for beardies during the day should be 100+ on the basking spot and 85F on the cool end of the tank. Beardeddragon.org says they *can* safely go as low as 65 at night, but yours may not like it--and it may have been colder than you think.

I'd check every possible aspect of his health to be sure...but I bet I can guess the problem. Did your hand come directly down from above? Congratulations, he thought you were a predator and wanted to eat him. {D You should be scooping up from underneath, like you're offering him a platform to sit on.

green_bottle_04

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
That's kind of pushing it, though. The temp range for beardies during the day should be 100+ on the basking spot and 85F on the cool end of the tank. Beardeddragon.org says they *can* safely go as low as 65 at night, but yours may not like it--and it may have been colder than you think.

I'd check every possible aspect of his health to be sure...but I bet I can guess the problem. Did your hand come directly down from above? Congratulations, he thought you were a predator and wanted to eat him. {D You should be scooping up from underneath, like you're offering him a platform to sit on.
when his lights are one it gets 105-106 on his basking area...and around 83-84 on the cool end. this morning (around 7:30 a.m., which is when his lights come on) the ambient temp in the house was around 70 degrees. i know thats probly not exact, but the heat in the house was set at 72 so its probly about right. AND i leave his heat pad on 24 hrs. a day. so he wasnt THAT cold. as for the other..that could very well be that he thought i was a predator...but hes never done it before. i always pick him up from the top as his enclosure isnt a slinding front.

C_Strike

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
They are funny little things, but i never saw my old pair become annoyed.. cept when he just cant vent his frustration and horny-ness cept to head bob like they do, lmao..
I used to let them free roam my room for part of the day, it was so funny when he would charge from where ever he was and get all territorial towards me and head bob to put me in my place, lol

GailC

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
My beardies do the same thing when cold, they haven't warmed up enough to run if a predator tries to eat them so instead they act tough. Next time let him warm up before holding:)

skinheaddave

SkorpionSkin
Arachnosupporter +
Beardeddragon.org says they *can* safely go as low as 65 at night, but yours may not like it--and it may have been colder than you think.
They can get a LOT colder than that. Check out some of the weather stats for parts of their native range. Granted, they are likely to hang out around things that retain some of the day's heat and places with shelter -- but if the air temperature falls into the 30s or so, I guarantee you they aren't going to be at 65+ all night long. Now I'm not recommending that you stick your beardie in the fridge or anything -- but our winter temps here regularily fall into the low 60s and we have no suplemental heat during the night and have never had any problems.

Cheers,
Dave