Bad and good news...

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
Today was a great day at first! I got a 5" Psalmo Cambridgie (pls correct spelling), A 4" G. Pulchripes, 200 dubia and 4 madigascar hissers! I was sooo excited! I also got some little pinheads to feed my A.Versi .5" sling. When I got home I went to go feed my Versi and there she was in a death curl. :( she is dead.
I dont think I will ever get a sling under 1.5" again! every one I get ends up not making it. I had a thread up a while ago asking what could be wrong and why they were all dying but no one noticed anything wrong with her little enclosure (vial).
I have 2 other slings that are less than a quarter of an inch. they are N.Chromatus and seem to be tough little guys. they eat regularly and have a the same type of enclosure my versi did. I had never seen my Versi eat since I got her. I would kill a tiny roach and put it in her vial and she never touched it. she drank alot though.... this makes me so sad :( she was one of the cutest little slings I have ever seen.

Last edited:

JimM

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
Sorry to hear.
I'm not sure what you're doing, but I've raised all manner of tiny slings, including many avics with nary a loss. If you have a consistent problem (I didn't see your other thread) then something is up with your husbandry practices.

I've raised about 20 versis, and haven't found them to be all that finicky.

By the way, it's "dying" :)

Cheers

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
Ok well please help me then! I keep my slings in these. The pic is from before I put more substrate in the vial. I filled It half way and took out the sphagnum moss and replaced it with a cork bark chip.
She lived in that for around 2 months. She was the only one with a tall vial. The others had/have slightly shorter ones.
I misted the vial once a day or every other day depending on how damp the vial was and provided food (pinheads or tiny roach nymphs) once a week. If the food is not touched within a day or two I remove it.
Temps in my room are around 79F during the day and 70F at night. I make sure to keep it warm enough for all of my T's.

PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I AM DOING WRONG! :( I feel like a horrable mommy for these poor slings.

that was my little versi in the pic.

Wachusaynoob

Arachnosquire
If they arent accepting roaches, Try crickets.
You said it hadent eaten, it was probobly dehydrated to some extent even though it wasnt eating. I can be wrong, but it's possible.
I just aquired a roach colony and none of my Adult T's will accept them so far, but Most of my slings will (not all!!)

Good luck.

KoriTamashii

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Could also try adding move ventilation. That was a problem for me with slings for a while.

Mamisha-X

Arachnosquire
Yea I try to give them as much ventilation as I can and I did try little pidhead cricks and the didnt eat them ither :/

2oCHEVYo0

Arachnosquire
Maybe your misting it too much... I got two of them and do not mist them. I do however turn my mister to stream and let the water trickle down to the bottom until a fair amount of the substrate is moist. I only do this about once a week and they are doing great

Also, could be the water you use... My tap water is somewhat salty, so I use the stuff that goes through our r.o.s. since it is filtered and clean.