Backwater Reptiles/Dictators?

ERIC cotter

Arachnopeon
I've been keeping an eye out for dictators (what hobbyist doesn't?), and saw that Backwater Reptiles is offering some babies. I looked in to them, and saw some mixed reviews. There were some very negative write-ups, but I also watched some unboxing vids where the buyer was impressed. My question to anyone familiar with them is how reliable are they? Emperors are often sold as dictators, but I'm ready to take the risk if these guys are trustworthy.

Sarkhan42

Arachnoangel
Heard that these are actually imperator specifically, as well as the fact that backwater is absolutely not a good place to buy from. Lots of bad reviews ime.

Toxoderidae

Arachnoprince
They are not. I ordered 4 of the G. quadratus, (halloween crabs) died within 6 hours of unpacking, one of them dead on arrival. Asked for a refund, nothing. Almost all the good reviews are flukes/the owner himself making fake reviews (and he also goes and bashes other people)

NJarachnidFan

Arachnopeon
I recently ordered a pair of P dictator from Exotic Pets Las Vegas. I heard so many bad reviews of Backwater I always avoid them even if they are the only ones to have what I want. My understanding is they are a drop shipping website and don't actually have most of the animals themselves.

TheSpeedy

Arachnopeon
Backwater Reptiles is not legit. From everything I have read, they are selling "Red Claw Emperors" which are NOT Pandinus as Pandinus Imperator. I did quite a bit of research on this before I bought my dictator through LLL Reptiles. If I had the option, I would have gone with Ken the Bug Guy because they seem to have the best reputation for online sales. My deal with LLL went really well and I have a gravid dictator to take care of now.

viper69

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
My question to anyone familiar with them is how reliable are they?
Not reliable at all. Take your money to Kelly Swift if you want reliable, HONEST, service, healthy animals etc.

The thing that is consistent about Slackwater is they are inconsistent and many times flat out wrong in species identification, been that way for YEARS, so if one is wrong that often, it's not by mistake anymore.

stingray

Arachnobaron
You can check out the board of inquiry at fauna. Search BACKWATER and read ALL you want about them. Its not good. As far as the videos go I would not be surprised if the videos are of backwaters friends and family posting them.

stingray

Arachnobaron
Ken the bug guy posted a pic of C.B. dictator scorplings for $30 each.

ERIC cotter

Arachnopeon
Thanks everyone, this site made me nervous to begin with and I haven't made the order, I'll probably check out Ken the Bug Guy, I've made a number of orders with him before.

G. pulchra

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Not reliable at all. Take your money to Kelly Swift if you want reliable, HONEST, service, healthy animals etc.

The thing that is consistent about Slackwater is they are inconsistent and many times flat out wrong in species identification, been that way for YEARS, so if one is wrong that often, it's not by mistake anymore.
I just received a shipment from Kelly today, as always the animals were in first class condition.

Pipa

Arachnoknight
Rumor has it, P. dictator has been coming in the USA so often now that Petco supplies them...

dragonfire1577

Arachnodemon
Rumor has it, P. dictator has been coming in the USA so often now that Petco supplies them...
500 P. dictator came into the country this year as allowed by cites from what I understand so they can be found although I doubt It will last, I have also noted the species tends to be smaller than P. imperator (Although I have one massive female I got from Ken) and is much more defensive and quick to pinch and even stridulate a little.

Pipa

Arachnoknight
Yes they were a lot of fun when I had them ... keep you on your toes for sure! haha

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
500 P. dictator came into the country this year as allowed by cites from what I understand so they can be found although I doubt It will last, I have also noted the species tends to be smaller than P. imperator (Although I have one massive female I got from Ken) and is much more defensive and quick to pinch and even stridulate a little.
I've noticed it here too, the size range of dictator. I have a couple that are at least 6 inches and a couple I was sure were immature at about 3 inches but then saw the tiny one mate with a huge female, it was kind of funny looking.

Galapoheros

ArachnoGod
Old Timer
Haha, OK I'll dig it up, I did take a pic.

photobucket is giving me problems but I worked around it.

It may be that males tend to be small, don't know enough about them yet.

Last edited:

Python

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Who is Kelly Swift?
Kelly swift at http://www.swiftinverts.com/ .Top notch guy, I've dealt with him for quite a few years and never had any complaints, nor have I ever heard of any.

There are just too many reputable dealers out there. There is no reason to consider these people (Backwater) a viable option and I can't imagine how they are still getting business with all the negative reviews that are available for a few minutes worth of Googling. Clearly they have a customer base still or they would have given up long ago. It's sad when people support these dealers because not only does it keep them in business, it does so with money that could support the honest, reliable dealers.