Back

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Back + photo of Megacormus cf. granosus

Has been a long time since my last post here, so hi everybody. Some might remember me from the days of yore and others maybe from my blog ;-)

Anyway, I didn't just come back to say hi without showing anything:

Megacormus cf. granosus (pectine count 4:4) female, I guess. State of Veracruz, Mexico.

Will post more things soon, have to do some catching up here as well.

Last edited:

Canth

Arachnolord
Old Timer
Nice find! Never even heard of that genus, neat looking little species.

Michiel

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I like those megacormus, but have only seen photo's of M.gertschi. This species is much more colored. Nice species John.

Groet, Michiel

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Thanks everybody, I am very happy with this find. If it hadn't moved I would have overlooked it. It's small and it was resting in a small hole in a piece wood (under a stone I rolled over) of nearly the same colour. When I picked the piece of wood up at first I thought it was a juvenile Centruroides gracilis but then I saw the body shape and knew for quite sure it was megacormus sp.

As some might know Megacormus sp. hardly glows under UV. I try to make a photo of that a bit later.

If anyone can share the paper that describes Megacormus granosus with me, that would be very welcome (I have a the one that describes 3 other species from Mexico and mentions the keys of 4 species, but not a complete description for M. granosus).

AzJohn

Arachnoking
Old Timer
Awesome pictures, both this one and the diplo. We don't appericiate our north american species as much as we should.

john

telow

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
welcome back

wow thats a neat little scorpion;)
that would be cool to have to put under a microscope
and learn more about it i love the ones that have little known about them :clap:

John Bokma

Arachnobaron
Old Timer
Some remarks: the above specimen is most likely a new species. I went on 2 field trips with Oscar F. Francke (awesome field trips with awesome people), one to collect this species, and another to collect a brown colored Vaejovis sp. I discovered a few years back, most likely also a new species.

More photos of the above species:

In-situ, showing exuviae and microhabitat

In captivity

I am currently keeping 2 Megacormus spp, 4 of the above species, and 2 of a different sp. (see http://johnbokma.com/mexit/2011/04/06/ ).