Back into the hobby...

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon
After a few years away from the hobby due to life taking some twists and turns, I am officially back into it tomorrow. Been looking foward all week to the arrival of 5 B. smithi slings tomorrow. Kinda sucks having to start all over again, but at the same time exciting as well...its been a long time so ce I've gotten slings in the mail so I am looking forward to it.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Welcome back to the hobby, and welcome on the forum, @Vikingsblood ! If you need to know something, don't be shy and ask your questions. The folks here are really helpful, it is a good community. It is the best place if you want to learn everything about tarantulas. ;)

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon
Welcome back to the hobby, and welcome on the forum, @Vikingsblood ! If you need to know something, don't be shy and ask your questions. The folks here are really helpful, it is a good community. It is the best place if you want to learn everything about tarantulas. ;)
Sure will, and thanks!

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Welcome back :)

Stupid life, always interfering with our hobbies...:shifty:
What species did you have before?

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon
Welcome back :)

Stupid life, always interfering with our hobbies...:shifty:
What species did you have before?
Oh lord...i wasn't the most prolific hobbyist but it would take me a while to sit down and list all the different species I've had through the years. Some of my favorites are Brachys, Grammostola, Nhandus, Aponophelma, Heteroscodra, Poecilotheria, Avics, Lasiodora, can't leave out the good old OBT....with the Brachys being my ALL TIME favorites.

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Oh lord...i wasn't the most prolific hobbyist but it would take me a while to sit down and list all the different species I've had through the years. Some of my favorites are Brachys, Grammostola, Nhandus, Aponophelma, Heteroscodra, Poecilotheria, Avics, Lasiodora, can't leave out the good old OBT....with the Brachys being my ALL TIME favorites.
Wow. Then you are a really experienced keeper... o_O You only have to update your knowledge with fresh and new info.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Wow. Then you are a really experienced keeper... o_O You only have to update your knowledge with fresh and new info.
Exactly why i asked :)

@Vikingsblood lol, those genera are quite sufficient :D
Always nice to see experienced people join. The more people to learn from the better!

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon
I'm sure there are a whole lot more experienced and knowledgeable folks on here than me, but I'm always willing to try to help.

nicodimus22

Arachnomancer
Arachnosupporter
Welcome back! Starting over must feel really good. Get those slings nice and plump!

Walker253

Arachnobaron
Awesome to hop back into a hobby like this. Starting over can be as fun as starting for the first time. Mostly, you know more of what you like and what you don't care for as much. You can dial it in and buy the cool stuff right off the bat with less purchases where you ask yourself why you bought that later on.

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon
Oh, we forgot to tell you...you're not getting B. smithi slings. You're getting B. hamorii slings! :)
Yeah, I have noticed the change in the scientific name, I will admit I haven't googled that yet, but I intend to...chances are though, with me being an old stubborn guy...they will always be B. smithi to me. Makes me wonder what else has changed in the hobby during my incense, I guess I have a lot of reading to catch up on. Any new discoveries in the past 3-4 years?

MGery92

Arachnosquire
Yeah, I have noticed the change in the scientific name, I will admit I haven't googled that yet, but I intend to...chances are though, with me being an old stubborn guy...they will always be B. smithi to me. Makes me wonder what else has changed in the hobby during my incense, I guess I have a lot of reading to catch up on. Any new discoveries in the past 3-4 years?
The first thing that comes to my mind...

Avicularia versicolor -> Caribena versicolor
Avicularia diversipes
-> Ybyrapora diversipes

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon
Well, my shipment of five B. smithi slings has been delayed until next week, but the seller is giving me two extra slings for the oversight. Im ok with that...with a total of seven slings that will just increase the odds of multiple females.

Venom1080

Arachnoemperor
H pulchripes, T psychidelicus. Phormingochilus are new as well I think.

Grimmdreadly

Arachnopeon
After a few years away from the hobby due to life taking some twists and turns, I am officially back into it tomorrow. Been looking foward all week to the arrival of 5 B. smithi slings tomorrow. Kinda sucks having to start all over again, but at the same time exciting as well...its been a long time so ce I've gotten slings in the mail so I am looking forward to it.
Welcome back. I understand why anyone would come back. It's an addiction with no cure

KezyGLA

Arachnoking
Welcome back!

Loads of new species available in the hobby from 2010+

Make sure you stock up on Harpactirinae :angelic:;)

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon

Vikingsblood

Arachnopeon
Thanks to all the "welcome backs" and to those who posted links to info. Since the seller threw in two free slings for the order not shipping on time I decided to purchase 3 more to make the order an even 10 slings, have 2 oz. portion cups set up and ready to go with substrate. Will be picking the slings up Wednesday at the local Fedex hub.