Back in the day it was defensive.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
You hardly ever seen anyone call their Ts aggressive. Why? Because tarantulas are not aggressive. They are defensive. They are not going to jump out of their burrow and chase you around your room nipping at your heals.

Will they come out of their burrows at you? Of course. Some might. Is it aggression? No. Something set their alarm off. Telling them food or defend. Either the air flow changed or something set off their dinner bell alarm.

So why the sudden over usage of the term aggressive?

That is the same as poisonous and venomous. Not the exact same. But close if you ask my opinion.

Moonohol

Two Legged Freak
I make it a point to correct anyone who says Ts are aggressive... same for poisonous, haha. I don't think you could even get away with calling Ts aggressive on this board. I see people get called out on it consistently.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I see it all the time on here. More so than I ever seen it before. I'm not saying folks don't get corrected. But not all to often. I'll make a list of times I've seen it from now on.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I hear the term thrown around alot by those that are complete laymen or are still relatively new to keeping Ts..

I try to politely inform them that Ts are defensive not aggressive as do many memebers on the boards as Moonohol stated..

It's a minor annoyance at most and I look at it as an opportunity to educate that person on general Tarantula behavior..

They only get one shot though.. If they use that word again I bust 2 caps in dem foo's :punch:

Last edited:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I'm sorry the picture is small. I zoomed in max she's just such a speck. a cute speck but a small one nonetheless.

I tried the paint brush and she bit it. I hope that's not a prelude to her adult behavior. I heard Curly Hairs were quite mild.

Although her sphagnum moss has some dirt in it and she likes to burrow in it so its very possible. Thanks for putting my mind at ease.

Any thoughts on the aggression? It was a very soft human hair brush and I barely touched her with it. Maybe she was startled.
I'm sure it happens. But i've owned and currently own several "aggressive" species and have never had that problem.
Here are two examples. Two threads, first page. Only twice. But, I have seen it more. I don't really have the time to look up more right now. I was just curious if folks gave up on correcting misinformation here or if it's still corrected like it used to be.

Glad to see I am wrong.

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I hear the term thrown around alot by those that are complete laymen or are still relatively new to keeping Ts..

I try to politely inform them that Ts are defensive not aggressive as do many memebers on the boards as Moonohol stated..

It's a minor annoyance at most and I look at it as an opportunity to educate that person on general Tarantula behavior..

They only get one shot though.. If they use that word again I bust 2 caps in dem foo's :punch:
I get that it's mostly from newbs and those illinformed. Just haven't seen to many corrections when I read it. Or I just missed them. That is highly possible. I get chances to look on here and follow a thread for a few post and get side tracked and forget which thread I was following. Lol

Jeff23

Arachnolord
who says aggressive? i dont see anyone saying that..
Many of the people who don't own them say this. I have had to correct a couple people at the pet stores when I buy my crickets. Most don't have a clue. One worker at PetSmart wanted to show me their T. I have never seen a T in that store but played along. They took me straight to the container with scorpions in it.:wacky:

But there are some good opportunities too. A father and son were at the store last week to buy crickets for their lizard. They listened intently when I described T's to them regarding the misconceptions and benefits in owning them as a pet.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
While a T isn't aggressive (as in offense) I think some could be labeled as aggressively defensive. Some T's put up a defensive posture but retreat while others will attack as their self defense. Of course us T owners know the T is actually scared for its life while the ignorants think the T is just attacking a person.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I get chances to look on here and follow a thread for a few post and get side tracked and forget which thread I was following. Lol
I do this all the time myself.. Luckily I have a valid reason.. Attention deficit disorder :oldman:

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I do this all the time myself.. Luckily I have a valid reason.. Attention deficit disorder :oldman:
I have no valid excuse. I'm just forgetful! My wife has to put her name on a label and wear it when I am around or I forget her name. Baha. (I'm just kidding. I ain't that bad!)

dopamine

Arachnobaron
I put "aggressive" in quotes for a reason lol. I know the difference between aggression and defense and don't normally use the term when talking about tarantulas. In this instance though i felt the OP would relate easier to what I was saying.
Funnily as soon as I started reading this thread I knew my post was gonna get quoted lol.

14pokies

Arachnoprince
I have no valid excuse. I'm just forgetful! My wife has to put her name on a label and wear it when I am around or I forget her name. Baha. (I'm just kidding. I ain't that bad!)
Ohh how cute..You guys are still in the newly wed phase where names matter.. That won't last.. Give it 5yrs and you will automatically respond to anyone that snaps there fingers and says Hey Stupid..

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
Ohh how cute..You guys are still in the newly wed phase where names matter.. That won't last.. Give it 5yrs and you will automatically respond to anyone that snaps there fingers and says Hey Stupid..
Haha. We are rolling up on five years here pretty quick. I snap my fingers and say "Hey Stupid" to this woman, she will flip switch on me. Nah. I'll skip that phase!

Redneck

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
I put "aggressive" in quotes for a reason lol. I know the difference between aggression and defense and don't normally use the term when talking about tarantulas. In this instance though i felt the OP would relate easier to what I was saying.
Funnily as soon as I started reading this thread I knew my post was gonna get quoted lol.
It wasn't meant to throw you or anyone under the bus. Just the first two I could remember I seen off the top of my head.

bryverine

Arachnoangel
Old Timer
We usually go by grunts and grumbles. I know to run for the hills (or my tatantula closet) if I hear actual words.

Jeff23

Arachnolord
Ahh I see what you did there..Funny... Have any polio jokes floating around up there? :mask:
In all seriousness, I do believe I suffer from some sort of Attention problems. If it wasn't for my cell phone alarms, calendar appointments, and sticky notes I would probably be homeless living with the T's in the woods.

Andrea82

Arachnoemperor
Maybe you see it pop up more because there are more people coming on the boards, and they don't know the difference yet? I've seem some other 'old timers' struggling with the same.
I never label tarantula agressive, although i may use words like 'angry, mean, devilish' :D