• The Report forums are closed to new reports.

Please use our new Reviews & Reports section to leave reports.

Information on how to use our new Reports section can be found in our Tutorials forum.

Babycurus gigas

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
10:00 +/- I was stung by a 3rd instar sling as it ran up the cardboard [I keep these utilitarian style until adult] in it's enclosure [4oz deli] and fell onto my hand below. It ran rapidly up my arm until I managed to stick my other hand in it's way. It climbed on gently, and gained speed, so I gripped it's tail this time in attempts to stop it, I was successful and I gently put it back in the enclosure, as I released it, it turned around and tagged me right on the side of my thumb. It got a damn good hit in. At first it was unbearable localized [5 minutes or so] pain, it slowly elevated up my arm and now my neck is cramped, but less localized pain, my forearm is burning, otherwise more numbness than anything now.

I currently keep 4 species of buthids - B. jacksoni, B. gigas, C. sculpturatus C. vittatus [sculpturatus and vittatus kept in a large interspecies communal enclosure]

I take a very hands on approach with my animals, I don't take them out solely for the purposes of handling but if I have to remove a specimen for any reasons, I don't use tongs or surfaces for them to climb on, I just pick them up. 9.9/10 times I don't get stung, but I've been stung at least once by adults representing all of the species previously mentioned. Nothing as painful as this, unless comparing the lividum bite a while back. So I don't typically write sting reports as nothing notable ever really happens. I was completely ecstatic about being stung and having an actual reaction to this because, unless I'm mistaken this is the first sting report for this species.

This probably isn't the first and I highly doubt it won't be the last time I'm stung by my own captive specimens but I'm hopin none of the other stings are ever this strong. On a 1-10 pain scale, I'd give it a six, more inconvenient than it is seriously painful.

Lucky me, just discovered another clutch of these demonic offspring yesterday, so far I've actually been very successful with propogating them.

<EDIT>10:40 - forearm, hand and thumb especially are still tingling and it's very painful to apply pressure at all. It's physically taxing to do typical two handed tasks, it was incredibly painful to take my jeans off today, I've been fine holding small objects and typing but I'm now beginning to appreciate the things I typically took for granted before today's incident...

TBH

Last edited:

ThomasH

Arachnoprince
Old Timer
1-1-09 - Slight sensitivity on tip of thumb, pain nonexistent.

1-2-09 - No sensitivity or pain!

Conclusion - Perhaps hobbyists should be more careful with these than their common counterpart, B. jacksoni.

TBH