Baby walkin stick!

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
So theres 6in of snow outside an I found this guy in my room next to the vent.
I got some strawberry leaves in there with him to eat. Gonna see how big this gal will get this season.

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
I find them every year I can find 8" walkin sticks an prayin mantis.

Bugs In Cyberspace

Arachnodemon
Old Timer
Looks like the typical spindly nymph of Diapheromera. Also typical that it would have lost a leg already.

I will be surprised if its still alive through the weekend. I don't believe strawberry will tempt it. It makes sense that an egg would hatch next to a warm heater vent, but it wasn't supposed to hatch until the leaves on its foodplants appear in the spring.

Its really neat that you found it and shared it, but the prognosis is not good.

MOBugGuy

Arachnoknight
Old Timer
Looks like the typical spindly nymph of Diapheromera. Also typical that it would have lost a leg already.

I will be surprised if its still alive through the weekend. I don't believe strawberry will tempt it. It makes sense that an egg would hatch next to a warm heater vent, but it wasn't supposed to hatch until the leaves on its foodplants appear in the spring.

Its really neat that you found it and shared it, but the prognosis is not good.
Your right it didnt make it over the night. I didnt have access to blackberry leaves an such. Strawberrys were the closes I could get. I tried tho at least.

codykrr

Arachnoking
Old Timer
I find these all the time. Especially when I am hunting in the spring. Last year I found one that had to of been around 7 inches. biggest one I have ever seen in Missouri.

Neat little critter though.